S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake cam starved of oil, catastrophic failure.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After this all happening to the head, would you really only want to replace certain parts? Can't lower mileage complete heads sell for around 500.00-600.00? I would rather find a head that didn't have these issues, and use it. I feel the fatigue of everything could have slightly, warped or weakened other parts in the head..

Even the naked eye can't always see parts that may have been worn. Anyhow, this is a problem, but has anyone stated what caused this failure?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k
After this all happening to the head, would you really only want to replace certain parts? Can't lower mileage complete heads sell for around 500.00-600.00? I would rather find a head that didn't have these issues, and use it. I feel the fatigue of everything could have slightly, warped or weakened other parts in the head..

Even the naked eye can't always see parts that may have been worn. Anyhow, this is a problem, but has anyone stated what caused this failure?
Which is why i'm replacing the head, as stated in the post above yours. It was also pointed out in the thread that the cam sprocket bolt loosening caused the failure. At this point that is all the evidence that has been found. I didn't get the head completely off today but im close. here's more pics of the aftermath.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the information and pictures AE_RACER. And good luck on your training.

Some guidance on the proper way to secure cam bolts with torque settings would be nice for a non-wrench-er. I certainly would like to avoid this issue!
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1326713096' post='21320676
Thanks for all the information and pictures AE_RACER. And good luck on your training.

Some guidance on the proper way to secure cam bolts with torque settings would be nice for a non-wrench-er. I certainly would like to avoid this issue!
Thanks.
The center bolt on the idler pulley takes 36 ft lbs , you need to use the appropriate allen head socket, or just check it from time to time and make sure it is snug. My guess is they come loose when people have worked on the engine and not tightened them properly.

We have seen the little o-ring behind the bolt leak on a number of s2k's, which isn't too hard to replace the o-ring, whatever you do don't remove the bolt fully as there is a washer in front of the idler gear that will drop down into the engine once the bolt comes out.
Just to be clear, we're not talking about the sprocket that drives both cams here(which is an allen head as you describe). The bolt that came loose holds the sprocket onto the intake cam itself. I am at a loss on how you would tighten these, someone else will have to chime in there. Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Just to be clear, we're not talking about the sprocket that drives both cams here(which is an allen head as you describe). The bolt that came loose holds the sprocket onto the intake cam itself. I am at a loss on how you would tighten these, someone else will have to chime in there. Thanks
0h my bad sorry, I'll delete my first reply to avoid confusion.

So it was the cam gear that came loose, they are torqued to 87 ft lbs, you need to put an open end wrench on the camshaft just behind the gear while torquing the bolt to spec. If the cam is out of the vehicle you can put the open end wrench in a vice to hold the camshaft then just do the bolt tightening on the other side.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
So your allen bolt in the front was tight? and the big NUT on the front of the intake cam cam loose?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM

big question...why is everything rusted? Something does not look right with your front camwheel..in the pic where the rust is.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
big question...why is everything rusted? Something does not look right with your front camwheel..in the pic where the rust is.

I thought all that was varnish , hence my previous thought of the motor being sludged up. There are certainly some strange things on this motor that just don't seem right, makes you wonder what happened to it in the past.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by AE_Racer' timestamp='1326734262' post='21321394
So your allen bolt in the front was tight? and the big NUT on the front of the intake cam cam loose?
That confused me too, hard to imagine the camshaft bolt coming loose pn it's own unless someone took it apart in the past and didn't re-tighten it properly.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM

In the first pic yes that is cooked engine oil. No rust there.

I see the rust in the latest pics, with the cams sitting on the grass and the rusted camwheel washer in the pic above it.

Quick Reply: Intake cam starved of oil, catastrophic failure.