S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake cam starved of oil, catastrophic failure.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Guys...the camwheel bolt coming loose was the cause. The OP even stated he found it loose. The camwheel is pressure fed. Once that bolt comes lose, all head pressure is lost through the port in the cylinder head behind the camwheel.

So the car I have sitting here had the same issue. The head has slight damage, but not enough to change the position of the camwheel. So the head remained in plalce. I replaced the upper and lower cam caps (this must be had as a 10 piece matched set) 2 camshafts, camwheel bot and camwheel. I RE-USED the VTEC rocker assys, as my inspection of them deemed them healty.

Car fired up and ran perfect. Took it down the road, no VTEC. Further inspection revealed the thrust bearing in the engine is shot. I don't know if the two problems are related. Check your crankshaft end play with a dial indicator...this will help both of us

The engine is otherwise unharmed. Starts up quiet and runs nicely.
The following users liked this post:
Charper732 (10-12-2018)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
If it isn't as Billman250 described it could be a plugged oil passage too. Judging by the varnish on the top end you may have some build up or sludge that affected the oil passageways. It could also be some wear metal from other parts failing and plugging the oil passageways.
That is not varnish my UTH friend . That is cooked engine oil. The cams turn with no oil, and become hot enough to MELT the cam towers. The cams I have here are BLUE. I figure this happened over the course 5-50 miles.

Trust me. The loose camwheel bolt is the cause.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 AM

I also see some of your cam tower bolts had to come out with the valve cover. This happened to this car here as well. The cam caps melt so much, the bolts loose all torque. When you turn the valve cover bolts, the cam tower bolts come out with them.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by Utah S2K' timestamp='1325374225' post='21276366
Currently collecting data as most run 10-30 but Manual says 5-30. Oil orifices on the F-20 C are comparatively small.
Utah
As this happened at operating temperature the difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30 is nothing.
IOW: oil was not the cause of this.

The varnish is a typical sign of years of dino use.
Varnish settles on high temp & low oil pressure & flow area's, not in oil passages.

We should not use the OP's misfortune to promote 0W or 5W oils.
This has nothing to do with oil.

OP: do you remember seeing the oil pressure warning light at all?
The loss of oil pressure was probably low enough to not trip this light but high enough to cause this damage.
The darker color of the varnish could also mean it happened instantly instead of a slow leak over a longer time.
Even in a couple of miles are a LOT of revs, and revs without oil means lots of heat.

No oil pressure light came on

Still my question remains,would I be safe swapping the cam caps/towers and cams (as a full matched set), and be good to go, assuming no other damage is found after the removal of those?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Just had this with a customer...the front cam wheel bolt came loose. Immediate loss of oil pressure to the top end.

Loose cam sprocket caused the whole thing.
Should we be tightening the front cam wheel bolt as a preventative measure?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Checking the bolt is a fantastic idea.

Yes you could change the needed caps and parts and be good to go. As long as the head is not damaged where the camwheel sits.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFUSION
If it isn't as Billman250 described it could be a plugged oil passage too. Judging by the varnish on the top end you may have some build up or sludge that affected the oil passageways. It could also be some wear metal from other parts failing and plugging the oil passageways.
That's not varnish, I don't think. That's the whole intake cam getting overheated from all the friction, and baking the oil on it. When it wasn't getting the oil, it got real hot, and the friction increased (in that order?). That's why the extra drag caused the engine to stall. Upon restart, it was probably revved up, or received a squirt of oil. Then it overheated big time.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 AM

Bill id suggest you replace the cam chain as well. (though i know you now have a deeper issue to resolve) And to anyone else who has this issue. The amount of strain that was placed on that cam chain to turn those cams at that temp, the chain is now toast.
This is good info though. *takes notes*
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Checking the bolt is a fantastic idea.

Yes you could change the needed caps and parts and be good to go. As long as the head is not damaged where the camwheel sits.

Is there a DIY on this? What special tools are needed?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am about to start pulling the head today. Rather than just swap the towers, cams and caps i'm gonna replace the head and probably freshen up the bottom end while i'm at it, since I don't trust that there may or may NOT be metal slivers throughout the engine now. I'll take a look at the thrust bearing for you guys as well and update you on that later. I'm leaving for some military training on tuesday and wont be back til Feb so I won't have time to pull the whole engine out til then, unless a miracle happens and I can pull it out tomorrow Thanks for all the help thus far.

Quick Reply: Intake cam starved of oil, catastrophic failure.