S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Instead of getting the "new" oil bolts, what if ................

Old 10-05-2002, 09:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Instead of getting the "new" oil bolts, what if ................

Reading all of the threads on the oil bolt thing in Europe plus all of "Prolene's" posts on his DIY replacement, the "gears" started turning.

Since this replacement sounds like such a horrendous task from Prolene's threads, if instead of putting the newer bolts in, would it be just as beneficial to say, keep the oil temp cooler and maintain the same old bolts? It has just been shown in a recent thread here that an oil cooler is available for our cars. If this cooler was found to be effective at keeping the oil significantly cooler, would this be a less laborious substitute?

One the one hand, you've got the cheap bolts but quite a few hours labour. One the other hand, you've got a more expensive oil cooler but perhaps a much simpler installation.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If cooler oil translates to higher oil pressure for a given rpm (it should), I would think this would increase the duty cycle of the jets and keep them spraying when otherwise they may not be.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Prolene
If cooler oil translates to higher oil pressure for a given rpm (it should), I would think this would increase the duty cycle of the jets and keep them spraying when otherwise they may not be.
On the other hand, colder oil will not squirt as well as hotter oil.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]One the one hand, you've got the cheap bolts but quite a few hours labour.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]Reading all of the threads on the oil bolt thing in Europe plus all of "Prolene's" posts on his DIY replacement, the "gears" started turning.

Since this replacement sounds like such a horrendous task from Prolene's threads, if instead of putting the newer bolts in, would it be just as beneficial to say, keep the oil temp cooler and maintain the same old bolts?
Old 10-08-2002, 07:11 AM

Appreciate the input. I guess it's back under the car I go sometime in the near future.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:54 PM

i read on one of the other thread that starting from engine #1025386 and up are the engines that has been replaced with banjo bolts. is that true? cause i'm planning on getting an s2000 at the end of the month. any input would be helpful. thanks

and who would i go to to talk about the bajo bolts at the honda dealer? i'm curious....
Old 12-03-2002, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by teamlightspeed
i read on one of the other thread that starting from engine #1025386 and up are the engines that has been replaced with banjo bolts. is that true? cause i'm planning on getting an s2000 at the end of the month. any input would be helpful. thanks

and who would i go to to talk about the bajo bolts at the honda dealer? i'm curious....
I can't confirm the engine # thing. All we know is what has been posted here. You can talk to the service dept. of your dealer but you must realize that there is no official recall on these things in N. America. All you can do is ask how must they cost and what they will charge you to put them in or do the job yourself. HandA, a board sponsor has them listed in their website for about 11 bucks each. You need 4. There is also a thread here on how to actually change the bolts.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know why Woodwork said the banjo bolts recall in Europe was not necessary for the way we drive in the U.S. but the new U.S. cars have the "upgrade" anyway.

Well, I think he actually said that the banjo bolts upgrade was to fix something other than the #4 cylinder failure problem.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Does anyone know why Woodwork said the banjo bolts recall in Europe was not necessary for the way we drive in the U.S. but the new U.S. cars have the "upgrade" anyway.

Well, I think he actually said that the banjo bolts upgrade was to fix something other than the #4 cylinder failure problem.
I'm not sure Woodwork ever said, but I'm willing to bet money that it was part standardization. My company does that all of the time.

Quick Reply: Instead of getting the "new" oil bolts, what if ................