S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installing tein Flex coilovers... Help

Old 07-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing tein Flex coilovers... Help

i just purchased a new set of tein flex coilovers. Ive been reading up for the pass 2 weeks all over s2ki about preload, ride height etc... but Iam just confused now. Ive read here that some coilovers require preload and others dont, like the teins..but some ppl same they need preload. Ok first, whats preload and how do I do it?? Do I really need preload when using teins?? Has anyone here installed the teins flex coilovers and come to any of these issues?? they come in tomorrow and will be doing the swap myself..hopfully it doesnt rain though.. thanx again guys.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought they say your suppose to just slap it on because they made the setting correct from tein. I have ra but i just dumped it all the way hope it helps but i know for sure teins comes set to a good drop height
Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 AM

i thought so too but others say no.. iam not sure.. but just incase Ill try both ways, loaded and non loaded.. but how do i load it?? whats the process.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when it is loaded all you do is compress the spring more using the perches so the spring does not move at all
Old 07-19-2006, 09:02 AM

To adjust preload, twist the spring perch to the bottom of the spring with the coilover completely unloaded, you can do this before you install them on the car easily. The goal is to have the spring barely able to be turned by hand between the upper strut mount and the lower spring perch with the spring unloaded.

All of your height adjustment is made with the lower threaded mount that bolts to your lower control arm. When you corner balance this is what you adjust at each corner to balance the vehicle's mass diagnolly.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 AM

ive seen ppl here leave the car on jack stands and just jack up the suspension and move the perches but how do I know how much?? For teins??
Old 07-19-2006, 09:15 AM

As I said, preload adjustment is made on an unloaded coilover, you do not want to load the suspension before you adjust preload.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mad_Paradox,Jul 18 2006, 10:27 PM
i thought they say your suppose to just slap it on because they made the setting correct from tein. I have ra but i just dumped it all the way hope it helps but i know for sure teins comes set to a good drop height
Never assume... That is what I did. I'm glad I didn't install the rears first. TEIN actually sent me 2 left front's (I got the RS kit). Don't ask me how but they came that way. They were sceptical but I sent them a video and tons of pics and they took care of me. I feel sorry for the person who got 2 rights. I've talked to them numerous time and each and every person I talked to says to check the measurements because shipping can loosen the collars.

Preload is the tension that is on the spring BEFORE you put it on the ground. You are in a sense adjusting spring tension/rate.

If you want zero preload just follow the instructions in the kit for the measurements. Adding more preload gets harder since you will be fighting the spring.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 AM

any set will come with instructions and measurements. I just went by those with my set.They're really straight foward and covers everything.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:23 AM

ahhhhhh.... I understand now ...good write up man (sochmydoch) .. I clearly understand now.. woot woot