S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installing lowering springs, how hard is it?

Old 03-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I really want to put on some lowering springs on the car, nothing crazy. SOmething that gets rid of some of that gap, maybe 0.7-1.0 inches lower.

I am apt at doing mechanic work, I do most of the work on my CRX myself, however I am a little scared of doing the s2k since it will cost more if I screw up...

How hard is it to install springs on this car? I don't have a pro lift, I will be using a 2 1/4 ton jack and jack stands on each side I am working on for safety.

What is involved in doing it.

Can anyone give me some steps involved so I can determine feasibility?

Is a spring compressor necessary to remove or install our springs?????

Any special tools?

Finally, what springs do you guys recommend. I want the handling to remain the same as much as possible. Don't really care if it gets harsher ... Just want to loose some of that gap.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a spring compressor to install your new springs. Also, the rear driver side suspension could be a pain to work on due to the gas tank being there, you need small agile fingers to work in that tight area. Other suspension removal/installation is standard procedure.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nimbus
[B]You will need a spring compressor to install your new springs.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:51 PM
Sev

Originally posted by bayarea408

you can just rent the spring compressor from kragrens.. for like $7/hour..you might not need it though, since you can just pop out the springs,... and since you getting lowered springs, you might not need the spring compressor to compress the spings to put back onto the shocks.
WHo can confirm this for me? I know some people pop them into garbage cans...

Thanks for the replies so far guys. STill need more info.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:07 PM

you dont need a spring compressor.....you can pop them there isnt much tension on the springs...I just brace the spring with my foot while taking off the top nut....the nut might shoot off maybe a few inches at most not very difficult...Spring commpressors are more dangerous than they are worth IMHO
Old 03-24-2002, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RacingE S2000
you dont need a spring compressor.....you can pop them there isnt much tension on the springs...I just brace the spring with my foot while taking off the top nut....the nut might shoot off maybe a few inches at most not very difficult...Spring commpressors are more dangerous than they are worth IMHO
This IS correct.

you do NOT need a spring compressor. a tip (thanks Chong!) - take off the coilover. place it on towels right next to the curb. start undoing the bolt on the top which is RIGHT UP NEXT TO THE CURB - and when it finally goes, it will only go a few inches, but your foot or someone else's will be bracing the coilover.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:29 AM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]

This IS correct.

you do NOT need a spring compressor.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:02 AM

The front is super easy if you take the two bolts out of the top of the a arm where it connects to the body....no need to take the ball joint apart then the spring comes out very easy.....on the back you will need a socket wrench with a universal swivel to get to the bolt under the gas lines....i thought the install was eaiser than a civic...
Old 03-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Sev

So will someone who has never done a spring install before, (ie: Me ) be able to do it with jack stands ?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

send 9k to heaven a PM/email. He's posted before in the central texas forum, among a few other spots. he should be able to give you some good tips.

Quick Reply: Installing lowering springs, how hard is it?