S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

installed softtop... major problem

Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
I've never installed a top so I'm probably not qualified to attempt a direct answer. You might do a search and find some pictures to compare your frame operation to one that is known to be installed correctly. Re-check the operation of the frame.
I did some research and found this from the glass top conversion DIY

''After all the trim is back into place and you have your car back together, fold the top up to
close it. Since it is new, it will not close all the way. It is best if it's a warm day or if the top
is warm. If it's cool, run your heat on for a while to warm up the new top. Once it's warm, do
your best to push the top down and latch it into place (this usually requires two people).
Once latched, leave your top latched for about a week to let it stretch into place. If you can
park it outside on a sunny day to warm it up, it is preferred.

Although he is saying it wont close all the way makes me feel better... i feel like my gap is WAY too big. i mean you should be able to drive the vehicle after the replacement. and i pushed it all the way down i could and finally managed to latch both strikers. and the gap is still there.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, try that. Leave it in the sun for a day or so and see if it sorts itself out. Good Luck
Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Your front right corner isnt installed properly. There shouldnt be any bunching regardless if it were just freshly installed.

I've replace tops and also fix incorrectly installed tops too (sucks for the owner that had to pay the shop and then me to fix it). If you were in southern california i'd help you out and charge you depending on the amount of work involved to resolve the problem.

You're gonna have really bad wind noise starting at 50mph.

Your rearmost strap is causing the problem. It's either too long or too short when you installed it, so it's snagging the top. Make sure you put the rearmost strap installed on the 2nd to the last stud in between the outside of the rainrail and the metal bracket. The rearmost bar should stop a little bit higher then the seam above the glass rear window.

The bar where you installed the two flaps joined together by velcro should also be fixed. The shorter flap, when attached to the larger flap, should have about 3/8" of velcro exposed, depending on how well you insert the material into the 2nd bar.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Its installed wrong. Thats all I can tell.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a pocket on the front corner that you do not have the top sitting in. That's why you see metal. Make sure the bows are wrapped correctly too.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 AM

You definitely should not be able to see the frame of the top like you can on the right corner in the picture. No amount of sitting in the sun is going to fix that issue. I have had new tops installed on several convertibles and while it took some force to close the top, there was never a gap between the top and the windshield frame. You might want to post a few more pictures of the top from other angles and of the inside of the top at various stages of opened/closed and some of the guys who have installed new tops on their s2k can chime in.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Definitely improper install, you can see the frame hanging out of the top.

EZ on tops are not formed in the corners, they have to be glued.

Never again will I do an EZ top.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Definitely improper install, you can see the frame hanging out of the top.

EZ on tops are not formed in the corners, they have to be glued.

Never again will I do an EZ top.
Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but I see you got to help out an s2k local to me in a creative way I'm sure Dave is thankful!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Alright guys. I figured out the problem today. The only problem was that i had way too many beers. While doing this whole conversion by myself. I simply forgot to wrap the top around the 3rd bow. So i backtracked today and redid everything. And to be honest EZon isnt that bad to install... All i know is to replace fluids. And i decided to try to do this conversion by myself on my two days off.

It's pretty straight forward. And i still have to glue the corners.. which kind of sucks. But i'll just run to the store and pick up some weatherstripping adhesive for both the top and weatherstrippings and im done. Saved about 1000 dollars for installation. Feels damn good. And the quality is great. I can't speak for the Robbins top. Never had any experience with those tops

Although i still have to manage to strech the top underneath the frame and put the screw in. I think i need to pick up a angled screwdriver for this. and it doesnt seem like i can stretch the top all the way underneath. My fingers are killing me. Looks like i have to find a ride to work in the AM lol
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Having same problem but bought car with the replacement already done, u have pics of ur fix? Does it sit flush with the windshield now?

Quick Reply: installed softtop... major problem