S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

installed softtop... major problem

Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed softtop... major problem

So my rear plastic window cracked so i ordered the EZ top with the glass window from Ebay. I decided to gut my top today and put on the new one since i had the day off.. Took me about 9 hours. The installation went well and i did everything correctly. Except for putting new straps on and putting the tension cords through the top.

It looks great with the new top. Really good quality. But it was a pain in the ass to latch the top. i guess it is because the top is new and it has to stretch out for about a week. I eventually got both strikers to latch. But when i got out of the car i noticed that the top is sitting about an inch above the top of the windshield. Kind of looks like you would just put the top up without latching it.... Is this because it is a new top?. Or do you think i did something wrong during the installation.

I can take pictures tomorrow if that would help.

Front picture :

Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Pictures would help... I'm having a hard time imagining how you would have an inch gap between the top and windshield frame with the latches engaged unless something was damaged.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Pictures would help... I'm having a hard time imagining how you would have an inch gap between the top and windshield frame with the latches engaged unless something was damaged.
I'll go out right now to snap some pics. Check back in about 15
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not sure about the gap.. pics would help definetly..

i would be more worried about watching the top when you lower it.. you are really not supposed to put the glass top on an 00-01 frame. ive seen a few tops crush the glass windows. unless you have the zipper window, which would drive me insane. lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar garage
im not sure about the gap.. pics would help definetly..

i would be more worried about watching the top when you lower it.. you are really not supposed to put the glass top on an 00-01 frame. ive seen a few tops crush the glass windows. unless you have the zipper window, which would drive me insane. lol.

Never heard of the Zipper window... And it's fine if you put the straps on the correct way. Which i didn't bother doing. Since i was in a hurry lol. I barely drop the top. But when i do. I'll make sure to watch the glass and push it backwards to fold properly.. But i have yet to figure out the issue why the top is higher than the windshield frame now
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious, can you press down on the leading edge of the top and force it to meet the top of the windshield? If you can, Maybe you can add some shims to the latches that will allow it to close the gap that you have now.
Wait for a few more answers. Someone may know exactly what your talking about and have an exact answer. GL
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JackS
Curious, can you press down on the leading edge of the top and force it to meet the top of the windshield? If you can, Maybe you can add some shims to the latches that will allow it to close the gap that you have now.
Wait for a few more answers. Someone may know exactly what your talking about and have an exact answer. GL
I tried doing that. it's not budging. i ended up sitting on top of it and nothing happened. I don't understand why this is happening lol
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mystof
Originally Posted by JackS' timestamp='1335843309' post='21657836
I tried doing that. it's not budging. i ended up sitting on top of it and nothing happened. I don't understand why this is happening lol
Geez man, I don't know. You might check the mechanical operation of the frame to make sure it is opening and closing correctly. I'm now suspecting it has something to do with the frame.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JackS
Originally Posted by mystof' timestamp='1335843435' post='21657842
[quote name='JackS' timestamp='1335843309' post='21657836']
Geez man, I don't know. You might check the mechanical operation of the frame to make sure it is opening and closing correctly. I'm now suspecting it has something to do with the frame.
[/quote]

Oh no :/ ..... i really hope thats not the problem.. The frame was fine and i gutted the top that was on before. And put this one on right after. Maybe i have this top on too tight for it to close all the way.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM

I've never installed a top so I'm probably not qualified to attempt a direct answer. You might do a search and find some pictures to compare your frame operation to one that is known to be installed correctly. Re-check the operation of the frame.

Quick Reply: installed softtop... major problem