S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed new throttle body, now high idle? What to do?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new throttle body, now high idle? What to do?

Did some searches, tried some things and a bit stuck.

I installed my new Ballade Sports 70mm throttle body on my '04 AP2 this past weekend. Used the dremel trick to get the TPS off of the stock throttle body and bolted it right up to the Ballade one. Everything else was super straightforward to put it on.

Car starts, drives just fine and no codes anywhere but the idle is anywhere from 1500 - 2500 depending on the temperature of the car and/or whether or I've been sitting for a little bit. There is an idle adjustment screw on the TB, but the only adjustment I can do on it right now increases the revs, not decrease.

Pulled the backup fuse and did the idle relearn and it got a little better initially, but now back to same issues.

What could be the problem? There is a range of positions that the TPS can be placed with the screws that attach it (there are slots on each screw location that allow about 5 degrees or so of rotation). Could the TPS need to be rotated some? Does that affect the idle?? And if not, then what could it be?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Daremo
Did some searches, tried some things and a bit stuck.

I installed my new Ballade Sports 70mm throttle body on my '04 AP2 this past weekend. Used the dremel trick to get the TPS off of the stock throttle body and bolted it right up to the Ballade one. Everything else was super straightforward to put it on.

Car starts, drives just fine and no codes anywhere but the idle is anywhere from 1500 - 2500 depending on the temperature of the car and/or whether or I've been sitting for a little bit. There is an idle adjustment screw on the TB, but the only adjustment I can do on it right now increases the revs, not decrease.

Pulled the backup fuse and did the idle relearn and it got a little better initially, but now back to same issues.

What could be the problem? There is a range of positions that the TPS can be placed with the screws that attach it (there are slots on each screw location that allow about 5 degrees or so of rotation). Could the TPS need to be rotated some? Does that affect the idle?? And if not, then what could it be?

Any help would be appreciated!
You don't just slap the TPS on in any position, you should have taken resistance readings on the old setup prior to moving the TPS to the new TB, or you can take throttle opening % readings of the new setup if you have a scanner, or you can use voltage readings of the new setup to set the TPS position.

Basically turning the TPS all the way upwards increases idle rpms, turning it all the way downwards will decrease idle rpms, but it needs to be set at the proper position.

Idle will also be overly high if there is air leakage around the throttle plate if the throttle stop screw is set too high. Also make sure the new TB is torqued to spec with a proper leak free new gasket. Hopefully they gave you a real gasket and not a phenolic (plastic) one.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

You will need to calibrate the new TPS. I'm not sure if that would affect the idle. I imagine you'd get a CEL before anything else happens. I feel that it might be more likely that your throttle cable is too tight in the idle position..
Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 PM

may be a vaccumm leak as zero says
Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a similar problem after cleaning all the crud off my throttle body. A simple ECU restart did the trick for me.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:36 AM

Did an ECU reset already as mentioned, that didn't clear it out. But it was worth a shot! I've also double checked the cable tension. While it is not super loose, there is plenty of slack in it.

I figured it is probably the TPS. I'm running to Home Depot on the way home from work and picking up a voltmeter. There was a really good thread I referenced already about how to measure the proper voltage across the TPS in the closed and open throttle position. I also read about the MAP "whack" which I can try.

I did not touch any of the vacuum lines, so I don't think that is it. And I made sure to clean the old gasket off completely before putting on the new one and the new TB. But I'll check the torque again on the bolts.

Outside of the idle, everything is running perfectly fine, so I'm happy for that. I've had no CELs (amazingly).

I appreciate the ideas. I'll check out the TPS readings and adjust it within spec and see if that makes a difference as my next step and come back and let everyone know accordingly.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you have a EMS/kpro/etc you can calibrate the tps from there instead
Old 04-01-2016, 05:53 AM

Nope, no stand alone stuff. That's on my wish list.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM

you install the tb without calibrating the tps?

this'll help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYInwRD32A
Old 04-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Just realized there is also a set screw for where cable hooks in, that might be the simple fix as well! Still going to calibrate the TPS.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Installed new throttle body, now high idle? What to do?