S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed Innovative Motor Mounts - Possible to Raise Idle Speed?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Innovative Motor Mounts - Possible to Raise Idle Speed?

I installed a set of 75 durometer Innovative engine mounts to replace my broken stock mounts. The vibrations at current warm idle speed of about 890 rpms cause the car to vibrate quite a bit. I'd like to raise the idle to about 1000 rpm to reduce the vibrations. is there a way to do this on a stock AP2?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, not without an aftermarket EMS or piggyback ECU. The 75's are pretty harsh at idle. One thing I found that will settle them down a little is after driving on them for a little bit, take the bolts loose that mount the mounts to the brackets on the subframe as well as the brackets on the subframe and then re-tighten. It'll allow it to shift just a little and rest a little better. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
No, not without an aftermarket EMS or piggyback ECU. The 75's are pretty harsh at idle. One thing I found that will settle them down a little is after driving on them for a little bit, take the bolts loose that mount the mounts to the brackets on the subframe as well as the brackets on the subframe and then re-tighten. It'll allow it to shift just a little and rest a little better. Hope this helps.
Or aftermarket TB. I had to raise mine to about 1100 to be able to live with it. put the innovative mounts in one of the worst decisions I've ever made category
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I just started a thread asking about upgrading mounts, I was considering Megan mounts. I have 136k, the mounts seem solid, but was thinking the overall increase in stiffness would be a benefit to throttle response, shifting, and handling. which I would sacrifice a bit of comfort for as this is just a summer/track/autox car. But if it is just "snake oil" and there are no benefits, I will just keep my $.

Things like "worst mod" does not inspire confidence.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM

davidnc1, which aftermarket TB did you use to raise the idle speed?

bgoetz, the reason I went with aftermarket motor mounts is mostly for the improved design. I didn't like how the stock motor mounts rely on the strength of the rubber alone to keep the engine from moving. Both of mine were completely separated at 87k miles. Since replacing motor mounts isn't high on my list of fun things to do on the weekend, I went with the upgraded mounts so I'd never have to do it again. The upgraded mounts rely on the very thick poly inserts and will deal with the forces much better than stock mounts will. Don't go for 60 durometer, they melt.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you notice any improvements? Not trying to jack your thread, but it is hard to find a clear answer on this.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I just started a thread asking about upgrading mounts, I was considering Megan mounts. I have 136k, the mounts seem solid, but was thinking the overall increase in stiffness would be a benefit to throttle response, shifting, and handling. which I would sacrifice a bit of comfort for as this is just a summer/track/autox car. But if it is just "snake oil" and there are no benefits, I will just keep my $.

Things like "worst mod" does not inspire confidence.
All those benefits are there, but they are very very small. Put it this way, you would want to do just about everything else to your car first, before you consider motor mounts. & I certainly would not replace them if the stock mounts are still in good condition.if the car is your daily driver, You will incur a huge increase in vibration and noise. You just need to be prepared to live with it. I hate it.There will be many people that will say that it is not a huge increase in vibration and noise. That is not true. That is just their perception. Because they can live with it. Engine noise won't be increased, but the things in your car that vibrate will be greatly increased.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by J-Speed Inc.
davidnc1, which aftermarket TB did you use to raise the idle speed?

bgoetz, the reason I went with aftermarket motor mounts is mostly for the improved design. I didn't like how the stock motor mounts rely on the strength of the rubber alone to keep the engine from moving. Both of mine were completely separated at 87k miles. Since replacing motor mounts isn't high on my list of fun things to do on the weekend, I went with the upgraded mounts so I'd never have to do it again. The upgraded mounts rely on the very thick poly inserts and will deal with the forces much better than stock mounts will. Don't go for 60 durometer, they melt.
Skunk2 TB, along with bored out IM from Ballade
Old 09-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

You CAN adjust idle speed by slotting the TPS rivits, make a screw out of them. Then you can turn the TPS percentage and change the idle. This is not really recommended.

You will want a scanner that reads live data to do this. Bring it to 10% or so (I think stock is 6-7%)

I DO NOT recommend anyone do this to fix any idle problem, high or low. You will screw up your factory baseline and the car will never be right.

This method is ONLY for tuning a new TPS.

ANOTHER disclaimer is a high idle will affect the engine braking, vacuum to the brake booster, and over all safety of the car.

If it were mine, I'd go stock or Megan mounts.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Billman, I don't have an idle issue with the car, it's still idling at 890-900 rpms when warm, however, I noticed that if I bring the engine speed up to 1,000 rpms, it significantly reduces the vibrations caused by the motor mounts.

Quick Reply: Installed Innovative Motor Mounts - Possible to Raise Idle Speed?