S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Install daytime driving light module

Old 09-10-2001, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why not just turn your lights on all the time? the car turns them off a couple minutes after removing the key and closing the door.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
[B]why not just turn your lights on all the time?
Old 09-10-2001, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

krazik, the auto off feature wasn't true on my 2000, did they change it for 2001?

One point of DRL's is using lower voltage, presumably to increase the life of the lamps.

xviper, It's illegal in California to drive with running lights only.

S2WOOOW, thanks again for your offer to help. The module is supposed to operate the low beams at reduced voltage. I am faxing you a copy of their instructions, but I don't know how helpful they'll be. There's no schematic of the module.

cal
Old 09-10-2001, 09:09 AM

Maybe this is a stupid question...I've never found any info on it. But if you want Daytime Running Lights, couldn't you just turn the headlight switch on whenever you drive?

What's the real difference between just using your normal headlights all the time vs. having an actual "Daytime Running Light" mechanism??

Anyone have any idea??
Old 09-10-2001, 09:25 AM

Am I correct in understanding that the DRL's on the S2000 use the high beams at half/lower power? If this is the case, then driving with the parking lights on seems much easier. A lot of GM cars do that instead of headlight DRL's now anyway (ie. Corvette). Hell, even installing a set of driving lights seems easier.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnyboy32
[B]Am I correct in understanding that the DRL's on the S2000 use the high beams at half/lower power?
Old 09-10-2001, 12:04 PM

I think the law is its illegal to only use parking lights at night.

Night is subjective, and I use mine at dusk, but turn on the regular lights when the sun is down. Unless you live a police state, I'm fairly sure running with parking lights on will be fine. Most of the cars made by GM use parking lights as DRLS (vette, buicks, etc).

Personally I hate DRLs. I feel if I have enough intelligence to drive, I will know when to put my headlights on. Also living in Florida, the land of the blue-haired, senile, 90 year olds, a lot of them dont know what they are and drive with them on at night instead of headlights. If the DRLs are low-power high beams the glare is unreal.

I was actually considering a Lexus IS300 (5-spd) and told the dealer I wouldn't take the car unless they turned them off. I certainly hope Honda never goes down the DRL road. I kind of doubt they will since I read Toyota is putting a defeat switch on the 2002 Camrys.

K
Old 09-10-2001, 01:32 PM

Krazik, tried leaving the lights on after I left the car and they didn't turn off automatically.

KeithD, Read the posts from some of the people who drive silver S2ks and you might change your mind if you're driving one.

Others who keep suggesting that I simply turn on my headlights might try reading the preceding posts on the thread before insulting my intelligence one more time!

cal
Old 09-10-2001, 01:40 PM

The premise behind DRL's is NOT to take away your choice of when to turn on your headlights because you still have to turn them on when dusk comes. The idea is that they make you more visible to others and stats have shown this reduces the incidence of collisions. The fact is, that on this car, running with high beams at reduced power, there is no glare, especially if you consider they are being used during daylight hours. This is such a common place thing in Canada now that to see an older car without it is noteworthy. When I come upon one of these cars, for a split second, I honestly do not see them. They blend into the background so well, particularly when the car is a darkish color. I realize how most people despise having the government legislate yet another issue into our lives, however, every once in a while, something DOES come along that makes sense and does what it's suppose to do. Oops, I think I just stepped into the realm of politics. (I hope the moderators aren't paying close attention.)
Old 09-10-2001, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]The premise behind DRL's is NOT to take away your choice of when to turn on your headlights because you still have to turn them on when dusk comes.

Quick Reply: Install daytime driving light module