S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Inspection, compression & leak-down done today. Bad results. Your opinions?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm also worried about my clutch, since that's +$1k job. It already has a brand new Exedy clutch, installed less than a month/150 miles ago. But he said there was something wrong with the engagement (either clutch and/or fork), it would eventually fail soon (within 6 months to a year) and not go into gear when it would fail. He advised me to might-as-well get a new clutch/flywheel, since the labor to check the current clutch and fork would end up costing me the same as just getting a new clutch (their own clutch and flywheel kit was recommended).
Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I'm also worried about my clutch, since that's +$1k job. It already has a brand new Exedy clutch, installed less than a month/150 miles ago. But he said there was something wrong with the engagement (either clutch and/or fork), it would eventually fail soon (within 6 months to a year) and not go into gear when it would fail. He advised me to might-as-well get a new clutch/flywheel, since the labor to check the current clutch and fork would end up costing me the same as just getting a new clutch (their own clutch and flywheel kit was recommended).
Are there any notes on this written on your invoice? Can you tell us exactly what they said about your clutch?

Also, we need more information on the symptoms you're seeing. Like I said in my first post, if the ONLY issue is that it's chattery then you need to put more break-in miles on it. Where is the engagement point in the pedal's travel? Is it difficult to shift into gears? The more info the better.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by LeonV
And to add, if you get another compression check done, make sure they go back to the first cylinder again as a double-check. I always do this to eliminate battery voltage issues, etc.

We only see one side of the story here and things can get lost in translation but if the PO's account of the situation is accurate, I would not go back to that shop.
Thanks for the tips.

There is no reason for me to make up anything nor lie. I am here for a reason..the exact same reason everyone else is here - to get/share help in fixing, maintaining and taking care of our cars.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 3,707 Likes on 2,623 Posts

A new clutch will cost you labour and parts, if you can get the current clutch issue properly diagnosed and repaired you should be able to get away with just some labour costs and perhaps minor parts costs since the car has a new clutch in it. I'd try to get it fixed without committing to a new clutch, pp, & bearings, etc. , just replace if necessary. Just my two cents.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by steven975
Originally Posted by Jah2000' timestamp='1446420225' post='23792113

He actually told me it was a waste of money to do a valve-adjustment before anything else performed, because it most likely wouldn't help (ie: before installing the advised timing-gear, or pulling the head to get new valves (which we didn't get into, because he knew I had a very limited/tight budget). So, that's pretty much why I didn't get the valve-adjustment then-and-there - it wasn't advised/recommended to be done.
So, they don't advise the 30 minute valve adjustment, which could very well fix the problem, and instead want to pull the head?

Hopefully I'm just reading this wrong, but to advocate pulling the head in lieu of a valve adjustment is...concerning. Then the showing how out-of-spec the valves are...which means 95% of the valve adjustment process was done and they didn't want to adjust it right quick?
No...they did Not advise pulling the head. They said it wasn't worth it as it wasn't too low/bad. They just advised: timing-gear, followed by a valve-adjustment (timing-gear fixing the low compression).
Old 11-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by Jah2000' timestamp='1446435267' post='23792211
A new clutch will cost you labour and parts, if you can get the current clutch issue properly diagnosed and repaired you should be able to get away with just some labour costs and perhaps minor parts costs since the car has a new clutch in it. I'd try to get it fixed without committing to a new clutch, pp, & bearings, etc. , just replace if necessary. Just my two cents.
Thanks.

It actually feels fine, just a little grabby. It's def not slipping. I think I just need someone else to check it out, drive it and tell me if there is actually anything wrong with it. But imo, I don't really see anything wrong with it.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by LeonV
Originally Posted by Jah2000' timestamp='1446435267' post='23792211
Are there any notes on this written on your invoice? Can you tell us exactly what they said about your clutch?

Also, we need more information on the symptoms you're seeing. Like I said in my first post, if the ONLY issue is that it's chattery then you need to put more break-in miles on it. Where is the engagement point in the pedal's travel? Is it difficult to shift into gears? The more info the better.
No notes about clutch on invoice (just comp and leak down numbers).

He didn't test-drive it. Just drove it 5-10 secs from parking lot to garage. He said it was slipping a little bit, engaging weird and the fork might be bad or damaged (maybe a clutch disc spring or pressure plate issue...it is unknown). Kinda vague..basically said the only way to find out was to pull off the tranny and that's obviously going to be the same labor rate as a new clutch install.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Engagement pedal point is a bit higher than what I was used to in the distant past. But, very very similar pedal height to brand new FRS's I've test-driven at the dealership (3x I've test driven them). I'm used to it's height now.

Shifting b/n gears is easy and normal. Love this shifter! S2k shifter really is magical isn't it?

Not slipping. It's actually quite grippy. PP feels a tad heavier, but still similar to stock cars. Yeah, only problem I am noticing is a grabby 1st gear take-off engagement..don't get me wrong..it's not Super grabby to the point of shaking everything or racecar grabby...just slightly grabby. It's actually fine imo.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonV' timestamp='1446435264' post='23792210
And to add, if you get another compression check done, make sure they go back to the first cylinder again as a double-check. I always do this to eliminate battery voltage issues, etc.

We only see one side of the story here and things can get lost in translation but if the PO's account of the situation is accurate, I would not go back to that shop.
Thanks for the tips.

There is no reason for me to make up anything nor lie. I am here for a reason..the exact same reason everyone else is here - to get/share help in fixing, maintaining and taking care of our cars.
I don't think he meant to imply that you are lying... Rather that maybe there is a possibility to mis-understood, mis-remembered, or something was "lost in translation" so to speak. Nothing against you specifically I'm sure, but these things happen occasionally. Much of what the shop is saying/recommending seems very suspect based on what you have said, so it is reasonable to consider this possibility (just as it's reasonable to consider the shop is not being 100% accurate in their recommendations, to bordering on poor ethics of suggesting parts that aren't necessary - such as to your opinion & description the clutch is fine, but the tech said it needs to be replaced and is slipping, based on 10 seconds driving it. Or suggesting their timing correction gear to fix a compression issue (which as Billman accurately described is impossible nonsense). Or not bothering to do a valve adjustment when already 90% of the way there.

If I were in your shoes, and I fully believed I was recounting things correctly, I would seriously consider using a different shop in the future.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It might be new, but the Exedy "OEM" clutch is a piece of garbage and it WILL fail prematurely.

Not a single part of the Honda OEM clutch for the s2000 is made by Exedy

Quick Reply: Inspection, compression & leak-down done today. Bad results. Your opinions?