S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Inspecting a differential

Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspecting a differential

Hey guys my differential blew and im looking to buy a used one. Question is what are ways to inspect if a differential is in working condition that is off the car?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM

At work we test it while its on the car. in your case. i would try spinning the center shaft by hand and make sure both output shaft are rotating smoothly with little resistance. and for the LSD check of the rear differential. (see below) since its not on the lift. do it by hand and see if the other wheel out put shaft on the wheel is rotating. Oh yeah ap1 rear diff and ap2 is compatible. only thing different is the drive shaft connection bolts of the center shaft of the diff.you can switch them out with ap1 to ap2 or ap2 to ap1 so it can directly bolt right on to one another diff. just unscrew and re screw tightly! look for ap2 rear diff definitely a lot stronger. good luck!

The Torsen type limited-slip differential (LSD) distributes optimum power between the two driving driveshafts according to the difference in torque demanded by the driving wheels. Under no circumstances should the engine be started with either wheel raised off the ground, such as using an on-car wheel balancer or when transporting the vehicle in the event of an accident.

Raise the vehicle on a lift.

Rotate either rear wheel by hand, and check that the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction. Check both wheels.

If the opposite rear wheel does not rotate, or if you can not spin the rear wheels at all, and the brakes are not binding, the limited-slip differential is faulty and should be replaced.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by longster
At work we test it while its on the car. in your case. i would try spinning the center shaft by hand and make sure both output shaft are rotating smoothly with little resistance. and for the LSD check of the rear differential. (see below) since its not on the lift. do it by hand and see if the other wheel out put shaft on the wheel is rotating. Oh yeah ap1 rear diff and ap2 is compatible. only thing different is the drive shaft connection bolts of the center shaft of the diff.you can switch them out with ap1 to ap2 or ap2 to ap1 so it can directly bolt right on to one another diff. just unscrew and re screw tightly! look for ap2 rear diff definitely a lot stronger. good luck!

The Torsen type limited-slip differential (LSD) distributes optimum power between the two driving driveshafts according to the difference in torque demanded by the driving wheels. Under no circumstances should the engine be started with either wheel raised off the ground, such as using an on-car wheel balancer or when transporting the vehicle in the event of an accident.

Rotate either rear wheel by hand, and check that the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction. Check both wheels.

If the opposite rear wheel does not rotate, or if you can not spin the rear wheels at all, and the brakes are not binding, the limited-slip differential is faulty and should be replaced.
Is it okay to run the engine with both wheels off the ground ?, I've done that a few times, with the engine in neutral of course.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by longster' timestamp='1326826804' post='21325269

Is it okay to run the engine with both wheels off the ground ?, I've done that a few times, with the engine in neutral of course.

yeah its ok, but there no reason to for this procedure. check for the LSD just release the parking brake and rotate it by hand as stated on the Honda corp. service bulletin.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

thanks for the reply longster, I was just asking because I've run my car while it was on jackstands with both rear wheels off the ground after a part installation. Thanks for the reply to my question.