S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Input on painting my stock calipers

Old 06-16-2002, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere, but I'm not finding it. As the title suggests, I am going to paint my calipers on my '01 silver/black s2ki a nice shade of red. I have a few questions if anyone has answers... First, how hot do the calipers get (assume 100 degree summer weather and stopping suddenly from 100 mph, if you will)? Second, do I need to prime and/or clearcoat seal the paint once done (I have an engine paint that is supposedly stable up to 1200 degrees - probably overkill)? Lastly, do I need to disassemble the calipers to paint them, or will I be able to do it with a brush? I do appreciate any advise. Gracias!
Old 06-16-2002, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, do a search on caliper paint and you should come up with quite a few threads...

That being said, here are my thoughts one painting. last summer I ground mine smooth and painted them with Krylon 1200 degree Bar-B-Que Grill paint, and they looked sweet. Unfortunately, for whatever reason (I didn't clean them well enough, the salted roads were bad, etc.), they looked like crap by the end of the winter, and I had to redo them. The first time I left them on (couldn't break the rear bolts) and just masked, the second time (early this year) I put it on a lift and took them completely off. I buzzed them with an electric metal brush, gave them several coats, and so far, they still look great. The real test will be the upcoming winter.

Do NOT assume even 1200 degree paint will last the heat of tracking...the paint will stay on, but it's going to change color and possibly look burnt. There's no point in priming and/or clearcoating, as you won't find a primer or clearcoat that can stand up to the same temps as the paint...those two items will cook long before the paint starts to, and paint is pretty durable stuff with several coats. Also, you won't cook your brakes from a 100 to 0 mph stop out on the street...you cook them on the track with repeated heavy braking.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-16-2002, 07:07 PM

Yeah. Thanks a bunch. I'm no mechanic though. Are there special tools involved to remove and reassemble the calipers? Would that be really tough? If it is, I may have to abandon that project.

...As an aside, I'm really annoyed right now, because I just used fishing line to remove the side badges and it left that gooey tape underneath. That stuff is tenacious! Citrus-based solvent doesn't touch it, and isopropyl is hardly much better. It's going to take eight hours to take that crap off! HELP?! I saw someone suggest 3M adhesive remover. I'll try that, unless someone has any other hints, ie. butter?? heh.

Oh by the way, MacGyver... Drinking from a mountain stream is a great way to get some of the wickedest diarrhea of your life. Just a little free advice in exchange. (I checked out your website) The friendly little critter comes from animal droppings, mainly deer, and is called Giardia lamblia. He's actually kinda cute under the microscope! ....yes, I'm a nerd, and a doctor.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:28 PM

I'll be honest, I painted mine and They looked really good a first, but it seems like they are really hard to clean the brake dust from. It just doesn't seem to want to come off. And I'm afraid to scrub too hard because the paint might chip away. I've had to touch up a couple times since I painted them originally about 10 months ago.

If you do it and you know how to dissassemble the braking assembly, then I would reccommend that. I think they would look better because the pad wouldn't get painted and also, the other smaller connector peices wouldn't getr painted either. So it would definitely look more like they came that color instead of just being painted. If I had it to do over again I'd send them to Rick to get powder coated. The won't chip like the paint, and it would look more professional and not so much down home garage.

My next mod is probably going to be a brembo kit so I don't really care about my shotty paint job.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PP, WD-40 works much better than alcohol, but I'm surprised the orange-oil based solvents didn't work for you...quitte a few people swear by the stuff. As far as tools go, the fronts will only require a ratchet set...same with the backs, but add in a screwdriver or two to help remove the emergency brake cable. It's not an involved project, but it takes some time due to all of the fiddling you have to do to get the e-brake cable off. Expect to spend the better part of a Saturday doing it.

Oh, and the stream was high enough in the mountain I doubt there were many woodland creatures around...I as drinking from a pool below a waterfall. Besides, I think if anyone saw a deer, they would have shot it But good info for later.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]LOL, do a search on caliper paint and you should come up with quite a few threads...

That being said, here are my thoughts one painting.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:27 PM

Has anyone tried the bake-on enamels?
Old 06-17-2002, 02:52 PM

LOL - how much do new calipers that are already red cost?! I don't often have a whole Sunday to devote to likely breaking my fingers. We will see.

As far as those side badges, has anyone used "Goo-gone"? I can't find 3M adhesive remover as of yet. I'll try WD 40 in the meantime. You sure that won't hurt the paint??

Jaded. What's a Brembo kit?

Gawd, I'm green.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I painted mine with 'Hammerite', I don't know if you get that stuff in the U.S. But it's a protective type enamel used for protecting metal from outside (weather) environments. We can get it here in a whole range of colours. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you to do it, as it's a cheap mod that greatly improves the appearance of the car. All you need to do is remove each wheel to paint them. A small artist type brush helps around the fiddly bits! Use a degreaser of some sort prior to painting , to ensure you're applying the paint to a really clean surface.

For normal driving even in hotter climes I don't think heat build-up will be an issue. If you intend to track the car, it's a different story!! The heat generated in a track environment has blistered even proprietory caliper coatings designed for the purpose.

One of the few gripes I have with this car is the lack of finish on the calipers. All down to cost I suppose!
Old 06-17-2002, 04:30 PM

I was hoping to not have to take the calipers apart, actually. Thanks for the encouragement. Remy is a "fair-weather" car only, so the winter and salt, etc. shouldn't be much of an issue. The paint I found is the high heat version with ceramic resins located on this URL: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html. Anybody used this stuff?

Quick Reply: Input on painting my stock calipers