S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Inner CV joint swap

Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Inner CV joint swap

:::disclaimer- I am not responsible for anything you do after reading this.:::

Since I have owned the car, it has had the annoying and very aggressive "shakes" on acceleration through all gears. soooo, I spent Wednesday night swapping the inner cv's from left to right. I also bought some halfshaft spacers to prevent long term damage to the driveshaft since the car is lowered.. I don't know how much the spacers will help, but I figured I could put them on when I do the swap to push the CV back in. ::edited:: Here are the pics.

my "office"

You can borrow this tie rod end puller from your local auto parts store.. i went to autozone.

:Notice: the left (driver side) CV grease is darker due to metal shavings in the grease. booo.

Well there's your problem... The freakin Grand Canyon in my CV joint. (driver side) on all three columns.

Here are the installed 10mm spacers.

I have gotten all the information I needed to do this job from the s2ki forums here, thanks everyone!

After my test drive... The car has NEVER driven as smoothly as it does now! I can actually feel the RPM's insted of the freakin "shakes".
Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Hi, just wanted to know, how low is your car? Just wanted to see how low you have to get before you have to install those spacers. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonpv' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:27 AM
:::disclaimer- I am not responsible for anything you do after reading this.:::

Since I have owned the car, it has had the annoying and very aggressive "shakes" on acceleration through all gears. soooo, I spent Wednesday night swapping the inner cv's from left to right. I also bought some halfshaft spacers to prevent long term damage to the driveshaft since the car is lowered.. I don't know how much the spacers will help, but I figured I could put them on when I do the swap to push the CV back in. note: This is not necessary on AP2's. Here are the pics.

my "office"

You can borrow this tie rod end puller from your local auto parts store.. i went to autozone.

:Notice: the left (driver side) CV grease is darker due to metal shavings in the grease. booo.

Well there's your problem... The freakin Grand Canyon in my CV joint. (driver side) on all three columns.

Here are the installed 10mm spacers.

I have gotten all the information I needed to do this job from the s2ki forums here, thanks everyone!

After my test drive... The car has NEVER driven as smoothly as it does now! I can actually feel the RPM's insted of the freakin "shakes".
nice pictures. your pit is literally 10 times worse than mine. your vibrations must have been really rocky.

can you explain how spacers prevent long-term damage to the driveshaft (or any damage for that matter)? I believe spacers only change the contact area of the roller balls in the cv joint.

can you also explain why this is not necessary on ap2's? I do not think the ap2's are immune to cv joint pitting.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice write-up and detailed pics!

[quote name='houstonpv' date='Jan 22 2009, 01:27 PM']note: This is not necessary on AP2's.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 AM

[quote name='negcamber' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:53 PM'] Very nice write-up and detailed pics!

BTW...this is incorrect.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM

From what I've read the "fix" for the shakes was in 04 so only cars with miles on them were starting to get the shakes. AP2s are just as capable of getting them as the AP1.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM

yep
Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:23 AM
nice pictures. your pit is literally 10 times worse than mine. your vibrations must have been really rocky.
yea, it was terrible. Aggressive shaking at any speed above 30mph.. specially highway driving, it was nearly unbearable. I couldnt be happier right now!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM

I have been getting asked alot of questions on this DIY.. I will note that completely removing the axles is not neccessary for this swap.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 AM

I was lucky to not have any pits but I decided to rebuild the cv's just for the heck of it. I even went as far as taking apart all of the 6 roller bearings and completely randomizing the tiny rollers and repacking them. The Redline CV-2 grease works great! by the way if you swap the cups you don't need the spacers since you are creating new wear spot already.

Quick Reply: Inner CV joint swap