S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Injen CAI Install Tips

Old 01-21-2002, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my Injen CAI yesterday. I thought it was only going to take an hour give or take 10-15 minutes. But it ended up taking me 4+ hours, but I want to share my misfortunes with you guys so you wouldn't have to experience the same frustrations. What I'm about to advise will make sense when you have the parts in front of you.

The main thing to do before you start your install is, to throw away that stupid coupler that Injen provides for the coolant hoses. Go to the autoparts store any buy yourself a one foot piece of 5/16 heater hose. You see Honda has this hose split into two sections going through a metal bend. Injen instead of providing a one piece tube, instead gives you a coupler that not only does not fit, but is a poor design since you will be removing the stock metal bracket. Make sure to lay down some rags because coolant WILL leak out of these hoses.

Next go and buy a new clamp for the large vaccuum hose on the left side of the injen intake. Injen did not make the metal tube coming out of the intake long enough, so it is very likely that the vaccuum hose will fall out, get yourself a hefty clamp to tighten it down.

I don't see how you can install the intake without taking the bumper off, I just don't see it happening because there is a "compartment" for your new filter that will only be accessible by removing the bumper not only that but you need to make some cuts that would be very hard to do without removal. Also, take out the passenger side fan, this only takes literally 20 seconds (2 bolts).

If I knew all these things before the install, it probably would have shaved off a good 1-2 hours of frustration and travel time to the parts store.

Needless to say, it was worth it! It was fun and the results are worth it. After I started the engine, I can actually hear the air being sucked into the intake when I had the bumper off!
Old 01-21-2002, 08:58 AM

Thanks for saving me all the typing. This is exactly what I found -- point by point -- in my install.

One additional point. If you have a dremel, or dremel-like tool, you can put rotozip bits in it to make your wheelwell cuts. Use a middle speed. The faster the rotation, the harder it is to control.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robbase
[B]
Next go and buy a new clamp for the large vaccuum hose on the left side of the injen intake.