S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Injector cleaners!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I once had a Honda mechanic tell me that he has never seen a bad Honda fuel injector and he thought it wasn't worth using injector cleaners.

I just had a set of ap1 injectors with 30 miles on them and I sent them out for cleaning and flow testing before installing them in my car. There was one injector that was sticking and wasn't flowing as good as the other 3, after they were cleaned they all flowed similarly. I think it is a good idea to run a good cleaner through them once and a while, not needed too often though.

I think the best products on the market (in no particular order) are Redline, Regane, Amsoil, Techron, and the BG products.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viets2000,Feb 19 2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah, but all it is is some diluted diesel fuel. If you use quality fuels, the injectors shouldn't need cleaning.
No, No. No. Many different kinds of solvents. Diesel is for morons. BG44k Redline and techron all work well.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 20 2010, 11:15 AM
...I'm also running Lucas upper cylinder lubricant on a regular basis, two ounce dose per gas tank goes a long way for relatively low cost and has some benefits that typical gas treatments don't provide.
I was somewhat surprised you recommended the Lucas UCL after a decent amount of people on BITOG suggested against it saying that it had questionnable benefit and could possibly leave behind unwanted deposits . Any reason for your recommendation?

your opinion is important to me as you seem to do research to back up your claims.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by starchland,Feb 21 2010, 08:37 PM
I was somewhat surprised you recommended the Lucas UCL after a decent amount of people on BITOG suggested against it saying that it had questionnable benefit and could possibly leave behind unwanted deposits . Any reason for your recommendation?

your opinion is important to me as you seem to do research to back up your claims.
hmm, actually I got the idea of using some kind of upper cylinder lube from BITOG. I really don't know if it is of any real benefit as this kind of stuff is hard to prove one way or the other. I found quite a few people liked the product on BITOG, suggesting that it is one of the better products out there. I actually have a post on BITOG asking whether these products create deposits, the replies I got suggested that these products pretty much burn up during combustion. Again I can't say that they work or they don't work, it's just something I've wanted to use. I do like the idea of adding lubricity back into the fuel system, and adding lubricating benefits to the upper cylinders and valves. I would never push this stuff on other people though, as I just don't have any proof of it really working or not. I know Indymac has been running a different form of UCL and has been a long term user of the stuff without any problems. I guess you can say it's a work in progress with me, something I'm going to monitor in the future to see if it works or doesn't work, or creates problems. hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

It also says on the bottle that it includes some sort of fuel injector cleaner and/or conditioner if I remember correctly. Your right for the price it does go along way. I have a bottle I have been using in my beater on and off and not sure If id buy another when I run out.

It does help thanks. thx.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 PM

there are a number of upper cylinder lube products out there, which one is best is hard to say, but they all try to do the same thing. The general idea of an UCL makes sense though, but you can add it to a vehicle and not notice anything, and you can stop using it without any noticeable effect too.

They all contain some form of very light oils that burn off in combustion and they burn very cleanly. Deposits should not be a problem as long as you don't over dose the recommended levels. They are designed to lubricate parts that they contact in the air/fuel stream such as valve guides, valve heads, piston rings etc.... They will leave a lubricating film on the parts between shutting down the engine and the next start-up. This can provide a cushion on the valves and other parts, and they lubricate the fuel pumps and injectors. I've heard it said quite a few times that today's fuels are regarded as being pretty dry, without very much lubrucity. They can help create a better seal on the engine parts and that can help the engine run better.

Products such as Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam, Lucas UCL, Redline S1, FP, and a few others out there all claim to have upper cylinder lubricating properties. Not sure what works best, but I do like the idea of using them.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 20 2010, 11:15 AM
I'd suggest running a bottle of Redline S1 fuel treatment. It is reported to be one of the better products out there, that is effective with one treatment. Run a treatment about once a year after that.
this
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 21 2010, 08:19 PM
I once had a Honda mechanic tell me that he has never seen a bad Honda fuel injector and he thought it wasn't worth using injector cleaners.

I just had a set of ap1 injectors with 30 miles on them and I sent them out for cleaning and flow testing before installing them in my car. There was one injector that was sticking and wasn't flowing as good as the other 3, after they were cleaned they all flowed similarly. I think it is a good idea to run a good cleaner through them once and a while, not needed too often though.

I think the best products on the market (in no particular order) are Redline, Regane, Amsoil, Techron, and the BG products.
Better be safe,than sorry...