S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Infamous Water Leak

Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infamous Water Leak

I have had this problem since I bought the car 3 months ago. Just today I have somewhat narrowed it down to where the water is coming from. It rained pretty hard for like 30 minutes today and as soon as it stopped I went to see if there was water in my trunk. Sure enough there was. Although I did find that the water is coming from near the drivers rear shock tower. There was a little puddle inbetween the tower and the roll hoop. I don't know why the water is coming there because I checked the drains around there and they don't appear to be clogged, so I'm stumped.

So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

sorry for the long post, I was trying to not leave out any details.

Clif Notes:
- water in trunk
- puddle between driver rear shock tower and roll hoop
- top drains seem to be clear
- stumped
Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry9854068
Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM

ive looked at that, and it doesnt help me at all seeing as the water isnt coming from the vent. my car has 26k on it and has been garage its whole life minus the last 3 months so the gaskets around the vent and taillights are still brand new looking (iive taken the lights out and inspected the gaskets because thats where i thought it could be coming in).

What's a good way to try and unclog a top drain (even though i dont think thats the reason)?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check that the gutter in the back of the top isn't clogged with old leaves, and that the drains are clear. The gutter drains into some small funnels, by the convertible top frame brushes, at your side. Those run to overflow tanks, and then finally out hoses in the bottom. Any of those being clogged will cause a wet spot.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take all the trunk linings out. Dry up the trunk. Then have some one hose down the car slowly from the top of the car while you stick your head in the trunk and wait and watch till you see the water coming in and then trace it back to where it's coming from.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB,Sep 30 2008, 09:28 PM
Check that the gutter in the back of the top isn't clogged with old leaves, and that the drains are clear. The gutter drains into some small funnels, by the convertible top frame brushes, at your side. Those run to overflow tanks, and then finally out hoses in the bottom. Any of those being clogged will cause a wet spot.
How do you do that? The top interferes with attempts to get down into that area. The manual indicates that you need to remove the top to get to at least the upper parts of the drains.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a straightened coathanger to push everything down the funnel if it's just dirt. Larger visible debris can be removed with a crevice tool and a vacuum. You can also run the hanger up the drain pipes to unplug it some. It's by no means the perfect solution, but it beats pulling the top. Most debris will eventually decay enough to flush itself out over time.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 AM

the trunk lining is already out. I have tried to spray water on the top, but it drains out under the car in front of the rear wheel (like its supposed to) I will try the coat hanger thing just to be sure, but it seems I've checked all these things already.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM

i figured it out i think...turns out one of the rivets that pinches the rain drain inbetween the top has come out, so I rigged up something that stopped it.

MAN WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB,Oct 1 2008, 08:22 AM
I use a straightened coathanger to push everything down the funnel if it's just dirt. Larger visible debris can be removed with a crevice tool and a vacuum. You can also run the hanger up the drain pipes to unplug it some. It's by no means the perfect solution, but it beats pulling the top. Most debris will eventually decay enough to flush itself out over time.
Kewl! How'd you figure out where the top "funnel" is? Can you push the top fabric back enough to see it?

Quick Reply: Infamous Water Leak