S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

THE INFAMOUS THUMP THREAD

Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE INFAMOUS THUMP THREAD

I bought my '01 S about a month and a half ago. Here's the story: the first week I owned it, I was sitting at a red light with the car in neutral. The light turned green, and as I shifted into 1st gear, some over-anxious driver behind me tapped my rear bumper! Or so I thought: when I looked in the rear-view mirror to see who had bumped me, I was very surprised to find I was the only person at the intersection. "Weird" I thought. Since then, I've had that same sensation many times when shifting into 1st from a stop, and have learned through the forums that this thump is common, in fact so much so it is referred to as "the infamous thump" in many threads. Based on what I've read, the thump is not a problem, but none-the-less, I (and I bet other people) would appreciate more information about the thump. Ideally, this thread would develop as an end-all information post that new owners could be directed to when they inevitably ask why it sounds and feels like someone tapped their rear bumper when they put their S in 1st when the light turns green. Please post the following:

1. If you do or do not experience the "infamous thump" (keep these short).
2. Technical explanations of the thump.
3. Shift and clutch habits that will help alleviate the thump.
4. Assurances that the thump won't hurt our car.
5. Links to existing useful threads about the thump.

Thanks everybody .
Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 AM

I thought i remembered reading somewhere that it is the VDC resetting or something but I guess that is completely wrong since you have an 01. It doesnt really bother me tho, sometimes the "thump" is stronger but i'm used it. i hope its normal
Old 06-28-2007, 12:38 AM

I recently bought my 2007 S2000 and I occasionally feel the THUMP... I thought that for the 2007, Honda fixed the problem, but I guess not...
Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know what it is but it reminds me of a bike when you put it in to gear it does that thump thing too...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Roxy,Jun 27 2007, 11:28 PM
1. If you do or do not experience the "infamous thump" (keep these short).
2. Technical explanations of the thump.
3. Shift and clutch habits that will help alleviate the thump.
4. Assurances that the thump won't hurt our car.
5. Links to existing useful threads about the thump.

Thanks everybody .
1. I do not have that thump.
2. Something in the driveline has some play so there is a "lag" between the driveshaft turning and the wheels turning. You put it in gear and release the clutch and the main propeller shaft starts turning. There is either (a) pitting in the CV joint cups that allows a little "gap" there, (b) loose axle nuts (esp on an 01) that need to be torqued up to 220ft*lbs from the original factory spec of 180ft*lbs,
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of it or experienced it either.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 AM

the "thump"happens when you get into first gear 2 fast, all you have 2 do is hold the cluth a second longer and that thump wont be present.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like something in the transmission spins even when the car is at idle, or perhaps takes a few seconds to spin down after coasting to a stop. Maybe when first gear is engaged it brings whatever is rotating to an abrupt stop causing the sensation. Just guessing, I have no idea
Old 06-28-2007, 07:03 AM

i have an 01 also and have the thump. usually what i do is while at a stop with the clutch engaged i will put it into 2nd then into first. then i will let off the clutch when the time comes to go. thump usually doesnt happen then

i must now go research the axle nut
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 AM

I have it, MY01. Holding down the clutch for a few seconds longer seems to stop it, but it reminds me of a bike also.

Quick Reply: THE INFAMOUS THUMP THREAD