S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Infamous rattle on cold startup

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the car up on ramps a while ago and inspected the engine mounts and all of the heat shields.All seem real solid.I even took a rubber mallet and tapped around trying to reproduce any type of buzzing looseness but no dice.From what I hear and have deduced the sound is almost definately near the front of engine but as many of you are aware that ticking and rattling noises seem to harmonically travel around and can be tricky to nail down.Especially when they tend to fade away as the engine gets warm.
Of course none of this means that it isn't or can't be a heat shield or some other fixture producing the rattle.
Oh well...I really appreciate all of the input thus far and will continue as time warrants to track down this gremlin. Otherwise I love the car and it performs great. Too bad I don't have one or more of you guys here in town that we could hook up and share experiences with. At the moment I'm not equipped to post a video with sound but I'll see if my daughter can help me with that some time next week. It's simply an intermittent non rythmetic metallic rattling noise that once the engine begins to throttle down from cold high idle becomes more silent and eventually fades to a point where you can hear the usual injector and valve train noises normal to engine operation.

Oh well,at least to this point my undercarriage got some detail wiping during the exploits of my trouble shooting. On the bright side ,less this little issue ,I am very pleased with my toy and actually enjoy tinkering with it.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

it almost sounds like piston slap. Seems to be pretty rare on the S2K but I have heard of some owners complaining about it. As soon as the pistons warm up and expand the noise dies down, sometimes it can be affected by the type of oil that one uses, though it is not a specific cause of the issue.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

what causes piston slap? is it normal? how can it be fixed?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=JFUSION,Dec 4 2010, 05:23 PM] it almost sounds like piston slap.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything yet? i am so curious as to what it is.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Why couldn't be the starter? Does it grind at startup for a few seconds. Why car does this in cold weather in the am, but never does it when its warm.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Eureka!! Re-adjusted the valves today as per JFUSIONS' procedure layout in a previous thread.This was after the engine set dead cold for over 24 hrs. Found 2 intake valves ,one on #2 and one on #4 about .002" - .003" loose.Also one exhaust valve on #3 was about.002" on the loose side. I think what made this issue difficult to track down was the mixture of varying engine noises at differing frequencies.Bare in mind also my garage where all of this troubleshooting process took place is like an echo chamber and tends to amplify even slight noises.All I hear now on cold start is a slight whirring sound what seems to be the timing chain and its sprokets mixed with some injector chatter which I suspect is normal to these engines.Apparently the added harmonic of the few valves that were excessively gapped along with these other noises had me perplexed.I feel quite content with where it stands now. Back it out in the driveway and it purrs like a kitten.I thoroughly appreciate all of the input on this matter and hope I haven't been too much of a stickler for details.

PS, Now that I wasted all of my fresh Valvoline sythetic oil in a futile attempt to track down my issue , I intend to dump some better stuff in there than the current dino that I'm running now.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by bshever,Dec 5 2010, 03:51 PM
Why couldn't be the starter? Does it grind at startup for a few seconds. Why car does this in cold weather in the am, but never does it when its warm.
I have this problem.. Someone once told me that it is the the gear that pushes the flywheel that isnt retracting fast enough therefore it causes that griding noise at start up. Specially when cold..

Dre
Old 12-06-2010, 06:02 AM

My starter is relentlessly sticking without any kind of frequency or predictability in cold or hot weather. Sometimes it won't do it for weeks, sometimes it does it on cold starts 3 days in a row.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 4 2010, 07:47 PM
wow i am really stumped. i really want to know now. and put synthetic back in your car. it comes from the factory that way.
No it doesn't fwiw.

Quick Reply: Infamous rattle on cold startup