S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Infamous clunk? Or something Else?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infamous clunk? Or something Else?

Hi Guys. New to the s2k scene and had a tech question....
Been driving my 01 S2k since July 28th 2009 when I bought it from a dealer used.. This wasn't a Honda dealer so not sure what inspections have been done that would be different from Honda.

Anyway my concern is that I have been reading up on some of the flaws for the ap1 s2k and noticed that the diff seems semi weak for what it has to deal with in the 01's.
Driven the car about 2k miles since I got it and started noticing a clunk noise from the rear end. Only seems to happen in first gear under 3k rpms from a stop.

For example: Im on a slight hill and starting out from a stop sign. I put the car into first gear and start to let out on the clutch. I hear just one clunk then nothing once the car is rolling. If I rev up more than 2k I don't seem to hear the clunk. Not sure if that's because the engine is loud or im just not noticing it as much?

I have a pretty good mechanical background and my diagnosis would have to be the diff is just hooking up and the clunk I hear is the initial teeth grabbing each other.

Anyone think my diff might be going out? Have the local Honda dealer going to look it over next Friday but would like to know what I might be getting into before I take it in. I still have an extended warranty thing from the dealer I purchased the car from but they recommended I take it to Honda and go from there.

Oh before I forget Car has 93k on it and was owned by an older guy in his 50's so not sure how hard shes been run. Already changed the fluids other than the diff since I didn't have a detailed invoice on what the dealer already did.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Are you sure its a clunk or a click sound. Mine just started doing it. i found out that there was a TSB for the axle nut. It needs to be retourqued.... something like that. Correct me if im wrong guys but this is what i searched and a local mechanic that works on alot of S's told me.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM

all s2000s have that "clunk" when you're at a stop, then engage back in first gear..
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Ok well im glad that a "clunk" is normal for these crazy cars...... I have to sit back and laugh I suppose. I started reading all these posts about diffs going out and got a little worried when I noticed the sound. Any Maintenance tips or recommendations I should know about?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM

just read on the boards.
you will find everything you need to know, or just pm people.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Much appreciated
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 PM

yeah, when stopped if i keep the clutch in for 2-3 seconds before 1st the "clunk" no longer occurs

~tina~
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=exodusx7x,Aug 19 2009, 05:26 PM] Hi Guys. New to the s2k scene and had a tech question....
Been driving my 01 S2k since July 28th 2009 when I bought it from a dealer used.. This wasn't a Honda dealer so not sure what inspections have been done that would be different from Honda.

Anyway my concern is that I have been reading up on some of the flaws for the ap1 s2k and noticed that the diff seems semi weak for what it has to deal with in the 01's.
Driven the car about 2k miles since I got it and started noticing
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I believe the clunk is from coming to a stop in neutral. If you leave it in gear and have the clutch in when you stop it shouldnt clunk when you start moving again.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Clunk" is not really enough information.

Could just be backlash. Could be axle nut. Could be slop in the CV joints. Could be lots of things.

Quick Reply: Infamous clunk? Or something Else?