S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Improving Today's Low SAP Engine Oil ...

Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mind you this post was created by the same person who now has found a ton of metal shavings in his oil pan...coincendence?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

My engine was varnished up when I bought the car, a lot of it has been removed since running some higher quality oils through it and it has been very clean the last few times I've opened up the top and bottom end. Varnish is mostly cosmetic and doesn't do much harm in the long term but it just doensn't look so great. Sludge does more engine damage.

My engine was roasted due to an oiling issue, it wasn't damaged by adding extra zinc to the motor oil. I only ran the Redline additive the first oil change after buying the car. I stopped using it because there weren't any changes in my used oil analysis between running it and not running it, so the added expense wasn't worth it. It likely isn't needed as much in a modern valvetrain unlike vehicles with flat tappet cams. I haven't run the additive in 2.5 years of normal driving snf numerous oil change.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't add anything to any brand of oil in an attempt to increase lubrication,cleanliness or advertised increased mileage. I accept that all major oil companies have done extensive research and are producing the best product they know how to build. Is there a such thing as "good,better, best"? Maybe or maybe not. Stay within the OEM recs and the car will take care of itself.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JackS
Personally, I wouldn't add anything to any brand of oil in an attempt to increase lubrication,cleanliness or advertised increased mileage. I accept that all major oil companies have done extensive research and are producing the best product they know how to build. Is there a such thing as "good,better, best"? Maybe or maybe not. Stay within the OEM recs and the car will take care of itself.
That is a great point on which to end this thread. Makes sense to me.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just find it extremely interesting that a lot of s2k's are rolling around with a ton of mileage and no issues like this, but you have admitted to adding additives to the oil and you now have metal shavings...under any normal circumstance, the metal shaving thing shouldnt happen...just seems really weird to me
Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
i just find it extremely interesting that a lot of s2k's are rolling around with a ton of mileage and no issues like this, but you have admitted to adding additives to the oil and you now have metal shavings...under any normal circumstance, the metal shaving thing shouldnt happen...just seems really weird to me
There is nothing interesting about it, I used Redline additve on one oil change interval in 2009 and had the oil analyzed afterwards. The wear numbers were the exact same as the previous oil change interval so I never used it again as it clearly wasn't worth the expense. I had the oil changes analyzed up to the failure and the only bad analysis was after a track day which had zero additives running Amsoil 5w30 two years after running the additive. The only thing Redline addtive will kill is your catalytic converter at the dose of 10 oz in a sump of 5+ quarts.

There are plenty of stories of people driving down the road and having an oil pressure light come on and their engines go to crap, this isn't the first report of such an event, these engines do expire and my engine failure was an oil supply problem not an oil quality problem. If someone wants to explain how a small level of soluble zinc can kill an engine more than 2 years of running it I'm all ears. Zinc, phosphorous, sulpher is contained in all motor oil, it's not something that doesn't belong in an engine. If you were to put 5 quarts of Redline motor oil in your engine you would have higher additive levels than I would have had using their additive in regular oil, it's the same thing at a lower dosage than what they sell in their motor oil.

When I started this thread I made an incorrect assumption that low SAPs oils were a step in the wrong direction, but oil companies and modern engine design seem to have adapted well to low SAPs. It turns out that low SAPs offer sufficient protection having changed to other additives and better base oils. I'll eat some crow on that subject but an additive of this type won't harm an engine.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
mind you this post was created by the same person who now has found a ton of metal shavings in his oil pan...coincendence?
No coincidence. I rehashed this thread after trying to find Jfusions uoa. May have been poor post etiquette, but just wanted the op o comment on possible long standing oiling problems due to varnish or lack of oil changes from previous owner (sorry op I may be putting salt in the wound and beating a dead horse)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Originally Posted by S2KIrishman' timestamp='1336053196' post='21665541
No coincidence. I rehashed this thread after trying to find Jfusions uoa. May have been poor post etiquette, but just wanted the op o comment on possible long standing oiling problems due to varnish or lack of oil changes from previous owner (sorry op I may be putting salt in the wound and beating a dead horse)
No problem bud, I toss and turn every night trying to figure out how a perfectly running car can die, in the last few months I've told countless people that my car feels like it just rolled of a dealer lot, the motor was running that strong. I thought of varnish but I was kind of proud that I got it cleaned up pretty good since buying the car, there is a chance that an oil port was clogged with engine residue but hard to say, I would have been more apt to think that way if it was sludged up but I never seen any sludge.

This car was my only hobby, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't even golf, not sure what I'll do with my time now that the car is on crutches at prime time season driving.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by starchland' timestamp='1336093157' post='21667838
[quote name='S2KIrishman' timestamp='1336053196' post='21665541']
No problem bud, I toss and turn every night trying to figure out how a perfectly running car can die, in the last few months I've told countless people that my car feels like it just rolled of a dealer lot, the motor was running that strong. I thought of varnish but I was kind of proud that I got it cleaned up pretty good since buying the car, there is a chance that an oil port was clogged with engine residue but hard to say, I would have been more apt to think that way if it was sludged up but I never seen any sludge.

This car was my only hobby, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't even golf, not sure what I'll do with my time now that the car is on crutches at prime time season driving.
[/quote]

Learning how to smoke and drink might help some. But avoid the golf unless you want to learn some new cuss words. Do your forensics and then fix your car. You will be happy again soon!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1336093992' post='21667875
[quote name='starchland' timestamp='1336093157' post='21667838']
[quote name='S2KIrishman' timestamp='1336053196' post='21665541']

[/quote]

Learning how to smoke and drink might help some. But avoid the golf unless you want to learn some new cuss words. Do your forensics and then fix your car. You will be happy again soon!
[/quote]

Thanks Jack !, growing up with my Dad I learned pretty much all of the cuss words that exist in the english and Italian language, lol, he was one tough bugger. I've got a new block on the way, I may be able to salvage some of the summer season and get my fix. lol .

Quick Reply: Improving Today's Low SAP Engine Oil ...