S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I'm really pissed now... why now NA kits for our car.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were a number of people who were involved with this test... I'm sure if you ask the right people they will tell the story. I know of one member that has the head but has not installed it yet. I had talked to a the gentlemen whohad performed the PP job a few months ago..... he had mentioned at least ~ 10 RWHP. Not sure If anyone had installed the head yet. I'm sure if the results were significant enough someone would have made a business out of it......
The job would cost ~ $2000, this includes parts and labor. the guy can be reached at http://www.alaniztechnologies.com/hondaacu...raservices.html. He is very busy but will entertain serious questions.
I think he wanted a 3 week heads up with a deposit to prepare the parts, then 1 week to work on the head.
I will be going this route as I am planning to build a N/A motor. I will be happy to share my experience when I get there.

Beroz
Old 07-02-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The K-Series motor has unlimited potential! You can swap a K24 block with a K20A(ITR) Head and you'll make 240WHP and 160lb-ft. torque. This is with very few aftermarket parts. The K20A3(Civic Si) has the strongest block. The F20 has limited potential, because the aftermarket usually overlooks it and we don't have other F-series blocks and heads to swap. Plus, this motor is very finely tuned from the factory. Feels has a stroker kit, Toda has cams and valve springs, High-compression pistons can be made, but it's all a matter of $$$!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evo s2000
[B]The reason there's so much power parts are out for the RSX. Because there's more demand. Plus on top of that, Honda have to play catch up now. S2000 was born in a different era.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, no.

Slick Rick is right. In terms of maximum power potential, the F20C does have more. Better head, better rotating assembly, etc. The K-series is very close, but not quite as good.

The key difference is in the i-VTEC and the easily tunable ECU. This makes it easy to get great top end power and still keep a hefty bottom end slug of torque (for a 2.0 liter).

The K20A/A2 blocks are the strongest. The Si block has a balance shaft setup and weaker (relatively) rods, etc.

What I find interesting is that Acura is selling about 25k RSX's per year in the US. About half those are Type-S models. Let's say 15k Type-S's per year. Honda has been averaging 8-10k S2K's/year in the US. That's not a significant difference in terms of market size (and the S2K has been out longer). Now, more RSX owners may be willing to modify, but with used S2K prices coming down, those modifiers will be buying S2Ks as well. I think that a lot of aftermarket folks were just a little scared of the motor to begin with.

On the head project, we did all the research and several people have the heads, but no one has done a definitive before and after test. I've offered the dyno time for free and a couple guys have baselined, but not installed the heads yet.

UL
Old 07-02-2003, 04:02 PM

In other words, it's going really slow, but at least it's going . . .

The real problem is getting the engine tuning right. A Hondata would really have been the best solution, but it doesn't look like it's happening.

UL, can you pull some strings over there?
Old 07-02-2003, 04:05 PM

....YET.....
Old 07-02-2003, 04:06 PM

Why would Hondata be the best solution?

It probably would have been the EASIEST solution, but not the best.
There are a number of aftermarket ECU's out there which would perform better than a Hondata.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What I don't understand is why Hondata is investing so much energy in the RSX ECU, if the stock ECU is already flashable. Why wouldn't they work on the S2000 ECU to steal AEM's market?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slick rick
[B]Why would Hondata be the best solution?

It probably would have been the EASIEST solution, but not the best.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slick rick
[B]I don't agree with EVO.

The K20 is not capable of making more power than the F20C.

Quick Reply: I'm really pissed now... why now NA kits for our car.