S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I'm grinding in 3rd to 4th at wide open throttle @ 9K+

Old 06-30-2003, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Former, it definitely can.

On the drive the seattle group had over the weekend, there were times when i was making a pass on on a two lane road, i was right at the top of 3rd and shifting to 4th with the the car right next to me and it'd go crunch.

the veiled suckiness in this situation is that every other gear is perfect. no 1-2 grind ever. in my '01, i had the 1-2 grind occassionally, but decided not to get it checked out cuz it didn't happen often enough, but the 3-4 happens often enough to bother me. like my '01 the clutch also buzzed on deceleration, but i kinda liked it cuz it's so racy. if that means anything. so i'm very much not in favor of going into surgery, but this time, it's on.

for me, the 3rd/4th 9k action is the most beautiful shift. i rarely drag grace so the 1-2 isn't as big a deal. but punching it at high speeds, that's gotta be predictably unfunky.

update: talked to my honda dogs; said drive with a tech... see if i can reproduce it, then they'll ship me a new tranny immediately.

let's hope i don't get pulled over for the official "testing." hope my baby performs like it should! (irony)

it's all about the relationships baby!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:14 AM

update: just an hour ago, went for a nice 10 mile ride with a honda tech. first two tries at WOT were smooth as butter. the third time, my boy stepped up to the plate and went bzzzzt! tech verified, i was happy and the irony is great.

just as a learning for you guys who've never had warranty work done.... it's not the service advisor that decides what gets repaired and how it gets done. the honda service advisor and the tech who verified the issue calls up Honda techline and the techline is the guy who decides what the next steps are. they own this part of the process. Now the opportunity in expressing your interest in you and your car is with the service tech and advisor. be professional and tell him/her what your wishes are. i am good friends with a couple of the service advisors and they said they'd represent me in talks with the honda techline group. i expressed that i wanted an entirely new tranny, but the honda buds at the dealership let me know that with manuals, normal honda protocol always replaces parts that are defective so i'll let y'all know what happens. they're providing me a rental car (a nice one hopefully) once I turn my boy in for surgery.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:59 AM

good luck
Old 07-02-2003, 03:49 PM

Thank you WRS2K for the kind words you express for your dealership. Sometimes it's nice to hear good things about Honda and their seperatly owned private dealerships. Your dealership has the proper way of solving a condition you have with your car. By showing the condition/problem, the techs can better identify the cause and fix...and if techline has any other advice. And btw, you probably get a ford speck for the rental. lol....
Old 07-09-2003, 09:12 AM

update: dropped off the S2000 for repair work. they tell me techline sent them a tranny repair "kit". I'm thinking this is just a nice catch word for 3rd/4th gear and sundry parts.

They tell me they'll do their best to get it done by end of the day, but said plan being w/o the car until Thursday.

got in, got out. hooked me up with a rental: Honda Element.

impromptu honda element quickie review: it's like driving a bus, but the suspension feels quite responsive. got the tires to squeal pretty easy around a turn here in downtown Seattle. Black. Looks good inside. plastic floor. flat floor. Lots of room in the back. I like it! would be fun to use as a beater to take on road trips for sure.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:37 AM

Great to hear good news!! Hopefully you'll be up and running in a nongrinding way... Good luck!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hopefully it works out for you - let us know. My car is at 56k miles and I get 3rd to 4th shift grinds when I'm doing track days. Could you get the dealer to tell you if there's any damage that was developing? Obviously warranty isn't an option, so I'd like to figure out if I should do this out of my own pocket.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:23 AM

update: It's day 4 at honda service and it looks like i'll be getting it back this afternoon. they ran into some snaggles in getting the right tool (bearing puller) and a slight chip in the gear that occurred while they were taking the tranny out (ordered the replacement yesterday).

so during the entire process i made sure to tell 'em to look out for tell-tale signs that there was actual damange on the 3/4th gears... the tech said he saw nothing visually. i asked if my clutch and other parts looked worn (I have ~20K miles on mine so far), but said the clutch looked perfectly fine (i never drop the clutch and always rev match).

they simply proceeded to swap out with the new gears.. so right now i'm just a lil' confused and hoping some voodoo wonders will make the problem go away with the swap.

I rely on RT on this board a lot (many thanks), and I told him about the situation and said that it'll be difficult to really truly diagnose the problem due to the technical skillz limitation inherent in this situation. perhaps it's the gear stacking tolerances or whatever and the honda technicians don't have the know-how to diagnose the problem that requires this level of detail and familiarity with the tranny. ultimately a new tranny might be the best solution since there is no visual damage to the gears at all.

once i get the car back, i'm going to try to safely test it by doing the WOT 3,4th gear shift at redline and will report back. i will not take the "shift at 8800 RPM" approach as a remedy to the problem.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem you do. They took out my tranny and couldn't see any visible wear or damage. I had a 2nd gear grind problem when the tranny is hot. I have to fork out money for the 1st and 2nd gear set since Honda Canada wouldn't warrantee it.
Oh it is day 6 at the dealer now, probably get it back on Day 9.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:26 AM

FormerH22a4, I'm sorry to hear about all the circuitous BS Honda Canada is putting you through. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Update:
They're missing one last part so it looks like I'll be picking up the car on Monday/Tuesday, but I'm not holding my breath. They've been very good to me and I trust that they are moving as quickly as possible.

The technician showed me the gears and synchros that were swapped out. He said it looked like it had normal wear and tear, nothing unusual and nothing that would indicate any problems with grinding.

Synchros looked really "healthy". I finally got to see what a synchro looks like. All this discussion and angst over that thing?! Gave me a good chuckle.

Quick Reply: I'm grinding in 3rd to 4th at wide open throttle @ 9K+