S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I'm grinding in 3rd to 4th at wide open throttle @ 9K+

Old 07-13-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Got pics?
Old 07-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update:
Finally got my car back an hour ago. i did not "test" it because the tech recommended that i take it easy for the first 100 miles or so to give time for the gears to settle in. not sure if this is truly necessary or not, but couldn't hurt and i'm not in a rush so any precautionary measures i will follow to the T.

the parts that they replaced.. off the top of my head are the 3rd and 4th gears.... the synchros and this one other part i can't remember. it wasn't a part that was a part of the grind, but they tell me that many times when u pull the tranny out, you chip this gear looking thing (which i saw with my own eyes), because of the way you have to take apart the tranny. normally people don't notice it, but luckily one of the other more experienced service techs advised and did the cross-collaboration thing to get this part replaced as well.

although the work timeline was grossly optimistic (2 days v. 6), overall i'm very satisfied with their service (Bellevue Honda, 98005). Michael Edwards, my service advisor, has always been courteous and professional and i hope he gets recognized for that if he hasn't already (many times over).

i'll post after i do some "testing" after 100 miles and let ya'll know the results of the 3rd/4th gear/synchro surgery. as much as i loved the element, i'm glad to be in the S ride.

btw, my tech bud bought himself an STi. looked good for what it is. i liked the wing and the interior. he added a blow-off valve to appease the ricer in him. i personally wouldn't be able to stand that noise over and over again. if it had an on/off switch i'd be down. the car pulled hard and the suspension felt taut. it's definitely a quicker car in the straights, but overall feel, the S2000 got the lil' race car zen feel.

bottomline: I was glad to get back in the Honda, but can understand why others love the Subaru.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting the car back. Mine is delayed further, one out of the three bearings is on back order now. The nighmare continues.

Can you get the name of the part that was not noticeable for me?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:39 PM

I get the 3-4 grind(and 4-3) a lot at the track. Unfortunately, I've already had the tranny replaced twice and my warranty has expired. It's not a big deal if I take a little more care on the shifting. I may try a different tranny fluid. Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:52 PM

update:
something weird happened. i picked up the car. drove it back home. headed out to the gym which is about 10 miles away. as soon as i get to the strip mall where the gym's at, i noticed that as i was chatting on my cell, the steering wheel suddenly got really hard to turn on this right hand turn so i was like maybe it's just my imagination... i keep going for a few more yards and then i definitely notice that the steering's way hard and i look at the dash and there u have it, the EPS light is on. so i fight thru a couple more turns to find a parking spot thinking this is just an intermittent problem and if i shut off the engine it's all good... but no.... suddenly, the dash gets dim and eventually shuts off, but the engine's still running, but struggling a bit now.

right as i come to a parking spot, the car completely shuts off and i slide into the spot in neutral. my car would not start again.

called honda service at 715pm... they call for a tow truck and now i'm back in the rental car again.

anyone know what's going on? i'm thinking they didn't plug something in? i hope it hasn't done any damage to the car cuz it was running fine after i picked it up.

i got damn lucky the car stopped right when i was sliding into that parking spot. comedy
end update

former, i'll get that part # for ya as soon as i can get to it.

speeding... i'm afraid the tranny fluid won't do you any good at all. i swapped out with fresh Honda MTF and it still reproduced the grind the very hour after the job. it sounds like it's a synchro/gear issue. did u get a new tranny from honda in your other repairs or did they replace parts?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that the recent issue is something wrong in the charging system. You were running on battery power until there was too much current draw to operate the EPS circuit. Electrical power continued to drop causing the latter symptoms. Hope this is an easy fix.

Regarding the transmission: my technician replaced the 4th gear cluster when my tranny was apart for the 1-2 grind TSB. He stated that there was an issue with 4th gear as well as 1-2 on '00 and early '01 transmissions. The work was done about a year ago and the 1-2 grind dissapeared, but the notchiness in the 3-4 shift is the same now as it's always been.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:29 AM

Just got a call from Honda. What happened was that the alternator plug or whatever was loose.

They're going to plug it back in and then see if the battery holds a charge. If it does not, then they will replace the battery.

I don't care much about notchiness. It's just the nature of the tranny. I do care mucho about grinding.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joshua/Ruby.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

They should give you a new battery regardless. Draining a battery all the way down permanantly damages it.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:39 AM

update:
They put in a new battery for me.

Been driving around in the hot summer weather. Gears shift just as before and haven't run into any grinds yet.

if it happens again, i'll post. if not, S2000 life goes on.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

After owning my AP1 for about a year I have discovered that I have this problem myself. It normally doesn't bother me as I don't go WOT into 4th that often but I'm headed to the track tomorrow. I may just live with it if fixing this issue entails and transmission rebuild.