S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I'm grinding in 3rd to 4th at wide open throttle @ 9K+

Old 06-17-2003, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm grinding in 3rd to 4th at wide open throttle @ 9K+

-only occurs at wide open throttle
-doesn't happen all the time
-at first i thought it was my shifting so i started shifting with a slight delay, but it's still happening
-it almost feels as though at 9k+ in 3rd getting ready to shift to 4th... the shifter is vibrating a lot and it's as if it catches when it grinds.. as if while vibrating the stick shift gets stuck in some mechancial slot or something
-could this be related to my recent tranny oil change (honda mtf)?

anyone else experience the above? remedies? how to cope?

many thanks,
Old 06-17-2003, 11:11 PM

did you try changing the clutch fluid? i just changed mine at 11k miles. it was very black. maybe the clutch isnt fully releasing and getting stuck (from what ive read, that's possible if you have dirty clutch fluid) which would lead to the grinding.'

$6 for the synthetic valvoline brake fluid stuff at schucks. or probably ~$20 to have bellevue do it. its super easy to do. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=118878

however i have NOT had this problem... its just a suggestion to check out...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:21 AM

hmmm interesting.

also, this "grinding" seems like it happens only when the car's been running a while or in hot weather...
Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WRS2K
[B]--could this be related to my recent tranny oil change (honda mtf)?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Do you shift into 4th gear or drive in 4th gear at low RPMs much (< 2K RPMs)? I used to drive my Integra in 5th gear at very low RPMs, until my 5th gear syncro cracked. I had to have the 5th gear set and bearings replaced. The tranny shop told me that driving at such low RPMs is hard on the bearings, which puts everything out of alignment over time.

It is just a thought, but it may be that your problem is due to low RPM usage, but the symptoms are occuring at high RPMs.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:40 AM

xviper - i supplied my trusty honda technician with all fluids and got the tranny and diff done at the same time (thanks for your DIY, unfortunately i couldn't get enough leverage to wack the nut off). i will go back and have the technician check the fluid levels when i get my exhaust swapped out this fri.

with regard to shifting habits.... i've been real careful about having the clutch fully depressed and pulling that sucker down into 4th with firm and even pressure. yet one or two times i could feel it catching in the downward motion. like this morning (cool weather) I was at 8K pushing to redline in 3rd and the shift to 4th was like butter. but when the car's hot... it's as if the stick is vibrating more and it's gettin' caught no matter how careful i am.

i just want to restate that this is not an often occurring thing. but still sucks since it's on the back of my mind when doing the wot 3-4th gear shifts. it should be the smoothest one if anything.

gernby - i rev the crap out of this car and usually shift at around 4-5K on the streets. so i rarely shift any less.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:47 AM

[B] unfortunately i couldn't get enough leverage to wack the nut off).

[I]Which nut?
Old 06-29-2003, 09:39 PM

Update (late June):

swapped out with fresh honda mtf again except i did it this time.

still doing the same thing.

action step: ask dealer for warranty work. will ask for entirely new tranny (2002+)
Old 06-29-2003, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your 4th gear synchro's tolerance is slightly off in the heat. This stacking tolerance problem is more commonly found on the 2nd gear synchro but seems like you have it on the 4th.

My 2nd gear, when heated in stop and go or after running for half an hour will blow pass the synchro engagement point and grind.

I am getting my 1st and 2nd gear set replaced next week since having that in the back of your mind evertime you shift into the problem gear is no good. It can be a safety issue.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:27 AM

[B]Update (late June):

swapped out with fresh honda mtf again except i did it this time.

still doing the same thing.

action step: ask dealer for warranty work.

Quick Reply: I'm grinding in 3rd to 4th at wide open throttle @ 9K+