S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I'm clueless on clutch...

Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm clueless on clutch...

Hi, Mine is a 2000 AP1, with 68,000km odo. Completely stock.

I'm not if this is an issue at all - because this is the first manual car I own.. and the only S2000.

1. Clutch Paddle feel. When I first bought the car, about 5 months ago, 3000kms ago, the clutch paddle felt smooth during operation, ie depressing the paddle and letting it go.

Recently, the paddle start to feel sticky/bitter. I don't know how to describe it better... Almost the feeling you get when you run your finger over a sqeeky clean plate, you get that gee gee gee stickion, ie not a smooth stroke. (felt something really needs to be greased up.. )

The clutch it self is not sticking, I can shift gear..

2. Clutch engagement point. My clutch engagement point is really high, nearly at the top of the paddle travel. The friction point is when I'm just about to fully release the clutch paddle, I only needed to depress the clutch paddle a little to be able to change gear and to engage gear.

Since I said the engagement point is really high - the amount of slip allowed in relation with the paddle travel is also very limited. Doesn't take much to fully engage and disengage.

The pressure/friction plates seems to grip well, ie not slipping when fully engaged.

------------------------------------------
So I'm lost... Is my clutch gone? or is my master cylinder gone? What's wrong with it...

------------------------------------------
If clutch is gone, should I go to Honda and buy Honda oem? or get a oem replacement from Exedy? (I don't mind a more durable clutch but then I don't want to spend unnecessary money.

If the master cylinder is worn, get it reconditioned or get it replaced? and what brand/oem?

-------------------------------------------
From what I have heard, clutch can be really expensive to replace by workshops, would any one able to recommend a good workshop in Melbourne? (Good shop as in good workmanship, responsible and doesn't charge an arm/leg.

I'm pretty handy with tools, and do have a quite a collection of hand tools, thinking to do the job my self, but I don't have specialized clutch alignment tool. Do I need it?

--------------------------------------------
Thanks in advance for hearing my cry....
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked the reservoir fluid level?

PM AusS2000 or post in the Aussie forum for a shop recommendation.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 AM

=) Yes the fluid is full, no leaks.

I am yet to post in Aussie forum because most of my questions are "general" issue....
Old 03-15-2009, 02:15 AM

From what I can tell, it sounds like your clutch friction material is very near the end of its life. It also sounds like your clutch pedal needs t be greased (at the back) or your clutch master cyl is leaking/binding. Check the clutch fluid to make ure its not black, if it is..flush it out.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 AM
mlc

I would try these couple of things first before you get into changing the clutch out.

First https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=370792

Second http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=12154

I know you said that the clutch master cylinder wasn't leaking but check inside the car under the clutch pedal and see if there is any fluid on the carpet. It usually doesn't leak outside the car on the ground.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 PM

Hey, thank you very much!!

i'll do that tonite =)
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Sigh...

Looks like my master cylinder and slave cylinder both needs service rebuild..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oh crap.....

I followed the above suggested links to inspect and polish the ball shaft..

Got under the car, err... is that oil on the slave cylinder bolt? or is it brake fluid... Unbolted the slave cylinder and remove the rubber boot, splash... OH SHIT.... the rubber boot was holding about 20~30ml of brake fluid... at this point... my wallet start hurting..... sigh....

1. Looks like the slave cylinder needs rebuild...

---------------------------------------
While under the car, had a look at how to take off the clutch/gear box. Oh man... looks like I'll run out of space to drop the gear box..

The car is current on car stands.. and I was planning to use the hydraulic jack to lift the gear box... but I couldn't jack up the car high enough...

How do you guys remove the gear box in a "home styled" workshop?

2. Looks like I'll need to get a shop to fix the clutch for me..

---------------------------------------
Since the clutch needs replacing... could someone recommend a clutch kit? I'm looking for
  • Minimal torque holding ability over oem, ie won't be chasing 100hp gain down the road..
  • Similar feel to oem, street able.
  • Lighter rotating parts, ie lighter fly wheel, pressure plate etc.
  • Similar to oem price and similar durability.
Would any one able to suggest a rough estimate how much it's going to cost?