S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

i'm about to install coilovers...

Old 12-21-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm about to install coilovers...

so, i've finally got some time off to install the BC's that have been sitting in my garage for months, but i could use a little help to make sure everything goes smoothly.

i've read through a butt load of BC install threads, but there's been one bit that i haven't run across yet ... is there any special tools that i might not have in my garage to install the coilovers? esp something along the lines of compressing my springs to get off the stock stuff.

any advice from other coilover users (esp of the BC persuasion) would also be more than welcome. god knows you all have been indispensable with all the other work i've done to my baby, so give it to me.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remeber right, you dont need to take the stock springs off. Your taking the strut and spring off together, so no spring compressor needed. Depending on which BC's you have, my I think rear bottom strut mount needed to be replaced with the stock nut. You might know what Im talking about if you read all the threads. We used an impact wrench to break the bolt offf the stock strut. You might need something there.
Also make sure your frint is adjusted right so the coilovers clear the A arm. It took a few up and downs to get it to the height I wanted it and to clear the arm.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:54 AM

If you have a helper you dont need any special tools. If you're planning to do this on your own having a ball joint remover really helps but regardless of a helper or not you don't need to compresss the stock springs.

I weigh 145 lbs and I couldn't hold down the lower control arm enough and take the stock shocks out at the same time so I bought the ball joint remover ($15) and I made the install in about 2 hours by myself.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 AM

Here's a step by step with pics that I did a while ago. Should help you out with the install.

My coilover install
Old 12-21-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ideugene,Dec 21 2004, 11:54 AM
I weigh 145 lbs and I couldn't hold down the lower control arm enough and take the stock shocks out at the same time so I bought the ball joint remover ($15) and I made the install in about 2 hours by myself.
I must say, "Don't do this!" I, too, bought one and used it when swapping my diff. Split a boot. You're better off using a sledge or BFH to bang it off. Do not strike the threads. Hit the side.

Best bet is to use a second pair of hands to hold the arm from your floor jack to pry down the control arm while you remove the assembly.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the lower arm to move down far enough on the rears you could also put the tire back on, and then use the scissor jack between the top of the tire and the upper fire wall. You can compress the wheel down far enough to remove the shock. It works well, and you don't need another person's help.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like skip said, you are much better off with a second pair of hands holding the assembly than trying to hammer out the ball joint.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=revhi,Dec 21 2004, 08:24 AM] Depending on which BC's you have, my I think rear bottom strut mount needed to be replaced with the stock nut.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Dec 21 2004, 11:59 AM
I must say, "Don't do this!" I, too, bought one and used it when swapping my diff. Split a boot. You're better off using a sledge or BFH to bang it off. Do not strike the threads. Hit the side.
How did you split a boot? I used this and it worked out perfect!

Old 12-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you inspect the damper position after installing them to make sure there is enough travel in both directions. Read the thread about setup / preload that is in my signature. The BCs and JICs are similar in design so it applies to both.

Quick Reply: i'm about to install coilovers...