S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ignition Tumbler change. DIY possible?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition Tumbler change. DIY possible?

I purchased my car almost a year ago with two keys. One black one that opened both doors, trunk, and cubby. Another black key that only started ignition.
If the first key chip isn't programmed to the car, would it at least be able to rotate or not?
If yes, then the ignition tumbler must have been replaced. Is buying the tumbler keys from Honda an option to match the door keys?
I'm trying to do whatever possible on my own. I don't like paying others if I can do it. And I don't trust leaving my car with others. Thanks for any advice!
The following users liked this post:
Mendoza (09-11-2019)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Surprised no one is responding. Yes, even if the wrong chip, a good key would still turn in the lock. If the key is the correct blank, and has the right profile cut, and isn't worn, and lock cylinder isn't worn, it should turn the lock. It won't start the car if the chip isn't good, but it will turn.

Even key or lock cylinder is worn, you should still be able to wobble key and eventually get it to turn the lock.

I don't know how to change the ignition lock cylinder, but I'm sure it can be done. If you can't find an S2k specific diy, I bet its very similar to other Honda locks, so I bet a Civic or Accord whatever diy would be helpful, specifically regarding how to remove/replace the cylinder once you get to it.

You'd probably have to figure out how to get to it behind the dash in the S on your own. Perhaps a diy on getting to S heater controls or maybe dash bulbs could prove useful here.

Wish I knew more. Maybe this bump will get someone more knowledgable to add more.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never done this on my S2000 but my car has the same issue. Ignition is a different key from the rest of the locks.

If it is anything like other ignitions I have changed, there should be two bolts holding the assembly to the steering shaft. These bolts usually have heads that break off once they are torqued down leaving a blank head like a rivet. You will have to drill these out or slot the heads so you can back them out with a flat head screw driver. To get to it I imagine all it takes is to pull off the column covers directly behind the steering wheel.

However, I imagine with the price of a new tumbler, and getting a new key programmed to your ECU, it may be more economical to pull the rest of your lock assemblys out of the car and take them to be rekeyed to your current ignition key. I've never done this but I was told it was possible and that is probably the route I will take.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I did mine, it was not very hard at all. Honda sells a kit with every lock for the car and a new set of keys.