S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

If you have a snorkle-type intake, please read

Old 04-20-2003, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have a snorkle-type intake, please read

I have a snorkle-type intake (the AUS intake), I installed it about 4 months and 3000 miles ago. I also have a front grill (Grille-Tech) and a K&N air filter installed.

Anyway, the stock airbox gets some sand and grit in it from the intake, so I always vacuum it out every week. But what I just discovered was that my air filter was really, really dirty and covered with grit also! I took the filter out and tapped it on a piece of newspaper, and almost a good teaspoon worth of crap fell off. After working on it for a few minutes, shaking it, tapping it and brushing it gently with a soft bristle brush, I ended up getting about two teaspoons of grit and sand off the air filter.

I have been on a couple of spirited runs with other S2000s in that time period, so I know that following behind other cars will increase the amount of junk picked up.

I just wanted to pass this on to anyone who has this sort of intake, you might want to check your filter often, I know I will from now on. I realize that this might fall under one of those "Duh, of course you need to do this" threads, but it was new to me
Old 04-20-2003, 04:28 AM

Good post! Common sense stuff like this often gets overlooked.
I just installed my K & N filter yesterday...so far, I can't hear or feel any differences from the stock filter whatsoever.
I can say this -- the stock paper filter was BRIGHT YELLOW from all the pollen floating around. It's messy out there!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:00 PM

one thing that will help out with your filter staying a bit cleaner is a sleeve that comes with K&N CAI that snake down to the fender area. I'll take pics to show it, it's bascially a sock that goes over the intake, not a big deal in loss of flow but it protects the filter from this crap.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

How often should you clean or change you filter? I have a AEM and by the looks of it, its very dirty.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:12 PM

to be honest, a dirty filter (not filthy dirty) works better than a brand spanking new one. I have a source for that claim that did some testing, but can't find it now (how convienent).
Old 04-21-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For those months that I was using the snorkel, I had the same observations with regard to sand and grit getting into the airbox.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working on the principal that a slightly dirty air filter is better than a clean one, and using the comtech oil/foam filter, I clean my filter by vacuuming it. I also have the snorkel.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xviper
For those months that I was using the snorkel, I had the same observations with regard to sand and grit getting into the airbox.
And you are not using the snorkel now because??????
Old 04-21-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

because he has a supercharger.

Thanks Luft, I'll keep my eyes on it. Maybe a seasonal inspection is all it needs.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:41 PM

I have seen the grit and sand in the airbox, especially in the first chamber. There has been a smaller amount in the chamber that has the filter. I was just surprised at the amount of grit on and in the filter itself.... especially since I haven't had it on for that long.

Quick Reply: If you have a snorkle-type intake, please read