S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

idle problem!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem!

hi guys, i seriously need help now.
symptom: the car start up fine, after driving for about 3 minutes in Texas weather, when i have three bars in temp gauge, this is when the iddle started dipping real low, and for hot day, the car will just stalled out at every stop. i have moved to Texas for three months now, and the problem has not gone away,
i have done the Map whack and IAC valve clean-up, and the problem is still there.
what should i look at next? oxygen sensor?
please help guys
( a compression test has been done and a new set of spark plugs has been put on the car last week)
Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I could be a f-ed up knock senor, my S did that til I got the senor replaced and a valve adjustment......are you getting a CEL????
Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 AM

nope, no CEL, i had my valve adjusted too.
anyone?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM

justin,
how much did the sensor cost you?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Cleaning the 02 sensors would be the next thing I would do. You havent done anything silly like pull the ecu learn fuse from your car have you? Some guys do this as a mod to keep the car running lean best.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your air filter clean? Throttle body clean and not gummed up? Fuel injectors clean? Is your gas cap in good shape?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...this sounds like an intake air temp (IAT) sensor issue.

Might be the knock sensor...but it wouldn't have much to do with Texas heat.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM

i only pull the fuse to reset the ECU, then put it right back in, as shown in the Map Whack fix, i just clean the IAC valve today, and reset the ECU again, i'll drive the car around tomorrow and see what happen, i have a new air filter last week, i'll check the throttle body tomorrow, any ideal of what to look for?
how do you clean the O2 sensor?, just take it out and clean it with carb cleaner?
thanks guys
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this issue with the accord and it turned out to be a bad IACV. replaced it and all was good.

i highly doubt the knock sensor or IAT sensor would have anything to do with that. check the car for vac leaks, if you tried cleaning the IACV, it might just be bad all together. borrow someones if you can to verify. MAP sensor might also be bad
Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by haoheomap,Apr 13 2009, 08:36 PM
i only pull the fuse to reset the ECU, then put it right back in, as shown in the Map Whack fix, i just clean the IAC valve today, and reset the ECU again, i'll drive the car around tomorrow and see what happen, i have a new air filter last week, i'll check the throttle body tomorrow, any ideal of what to look for?
how do you clean the O2 sensor?, just take it out and clean it with carb cleaner?
thanks guys
Bingo! The car wont idle properly after you re set the ecu, it takes sometimes several days depending on how many times you run the car in that time period.

Yes thats how you clean the 02 sensor

Try performing the proper start up procedure after re setting the ecu. Start car, do not touch the gas peddle at all, let car "learn" idle for 10min, shut car off and re start and drive, most of the idle should be set after this period, but not always, after this precedure the more times you turn the car on and off/ cycle through with driving in between, the quicker it will learn its proper ecu resting place and idle, if the car still wont idle for you after this procedure and it has been several days, then you should start dealing with the other ideas we are putting forth.

Quick Reply: idle problem!