S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Idle issue making me go wacko.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:27 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewire
If I rev the engine while stationary, the car revs then drops down to 400-500 RPM before recovering. When taking off, I have to rev to 2-3 to avoid stalling on takeoff. Can't move at all with the "friction zone" at idle, car just stalls out. While idle and stationary, RPMs go from 800-850 down to 700 and the car shudders, before the car recovers back to 800-850, before doing the same thing again.

Happens mainly when the engine is warmed up. Less often when cold.
Definitely try a valve adjustment. Properly adjusted valves improves idle.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:57 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewire
If I rev the engine while stationary, the car revs then drops down to 400-500 RPM before recovering. When taking off, I have to rev to 2-3 to avoid stalling on takeoff. Can't move at all with the "friction zone" at idle, and even with a small bit of gas, car just stalls out. While idle and stationary, RPMs go from 800-850 down to 700 and the car shudders, before the car recovers back to 800-850, before doing the same thing again.

Happens mainly when the engine is warmed up. Less often when cold.

The only reason it's jarring for me is my motorcycle doesn't behave like this, and neither did the Boxster I owned before. Smooth manuals on those, let the clutch out slowly, give it a little gas, smooth takeoffs. The S2000 it's either I'm dumping the clutch practically to avoid stalling out, or I stall and have to restart the car. No in-between, no smooth takeoffs because if my RPMs are too low, the car just stalls. Very frustrating, and especially embarrassing around town. I've never had to do this much work to drive a manual before.

A total list of what I've done now:
- Cleaned the IACV 3 times.
- New Skunk2 70MM Throttle Body
- New MAP sensor
- New TPS sensor
- New OEM Clutch Master Cylinder
- 10+ Idle Relearns
- Oil change
- Coolant Flush and Change
- Transmission Fluid Service
- Differential Fluid Service
- New OEM Spark Plugs
- Vacuum leak test
- Fuel Pressure test

Previous Owner Mods:
- AEM Cold Air Intake
- Skunk2 Headers
- Skunk2 Exhaust
- Test pipe
- Aftermarket Clutch (no clue what brand or model)

No clue why the RPMs drop below Idle.
Idle issue aside, you need to rev to at least 2-3k to take off in this car. It has a very low amount of tq. That is totally normal. That is why people go through clutches faster in this car than many cars. Lots of slipping the clutch when taking off, especially in stop and go traffic. For reference, it takes >5000 rpm and a very hard/quick clutch release to spin the tires in this car for the same reason (that varies ... on 200 TW 255's on Lincoln concrete it is more like 6000 rpm for example). So taking off normally at 3000 rpm is not indicative of anything wrong. Most econobox FWD's have more tq than an S2000, so it takes more rpm to make usable power. It actually is a bit annoying to drive in slow stop and go traffic until you get used to it. The car likes to be driven hard and at high rpm, just what it is. You will get used to that part though over time and adjust to driving it.

You do, however, have some sort of issue of course. But do not expect the launch rpm to change much when it is fixed.

You can try a valve adjustment if it has not been done. I seriously doubt it is going to fix your idle. If the valves are out of adjustment enough to cause poor idle and have been that way I would worry about burned valves. But try it if it has not been done anyways. Could be that someone else did one and set them way off.

IACV is a typical cause of a car stalling or stumbling when returning to idle. But there could be a few causes though.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have the tools to do a valve adjustment. I'll have to take it in to have that done.

Just frustrated.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:26 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Your symptoms are classic IAC inability to react to ECU command.

I still think your problem lies in the IAC. Can you spin the shaft with your finger like a top, and have it spin for an additional second?

It is also imperative that the motor is centered. The mounting holes are slotted and allow timing/rotation of the motor.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:35 AM

I am thinking I just need to replace the IAC.

The shaft spins freely with minimal friction, and I'm pretty sure I centered the shaft when I re-assembled it the one time I took it apart, but I have no clue if the motor is working. No check engine or error codes.

Also, slight off topic, is the overflow container for coolant supposed to just be loose in the engine bay? I don't see a mount for it, and it's just laying there.

Last edited by Rewire; 11-12-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:46 AM

It mounts to the cruise control unit.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:53 AM

Thanks for that.

I'll try disassembling the IAC once more, ensuring it's operating properly, reassemble it (center the shaft so air flows when it's reassembled, correct?) and then if all else fails, I'll replace it.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:06 AM

The shaft needs to be timed to assemble. Tab faces engine.

The MOTOR needs to be centered. Not the shaft.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Billman, are there any steps you can advise on how to recenter it? Or know it's recentered? You've mentioned this before in other posts but I've come up empty on a procedure.

This might be a good sticky as well IMO.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2020, 02:40 PM

Does Soviet have a DIY on this?

Quick Reply: Idle issue making me go wacko.