S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Idle fluctuating, car stalls when stopped

Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle fluctuating, car stalls when stopped

Setting is defiently wrong with my s2000. Symptoms inclued: flucuating idle when throttal is blimped, rpms staying raised when I take the car out of gear, upon coming to a stop the car will die.

Not sure what to check at the moment. Video coming soon.

Edit: https://youtu.be/bcZrpuNW-Jo

Car has 112k, MY01. No engine work has been done.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAC
Old 09-17-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleenyc99
IAC
Yup, almost 100% for sure. Definitely the first place to start.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Should I just buy an whole new unit from Majestic Honda for 160$ or clean it out using Billman's technique? I can't find that damn five point t20 torx... I was thinking about taking it into the dealership for service, but i'm not sure how much they are planning to charge me.

Anyways, I cleaned the IAC by unscrewing the two 10mm bolts and using carb cleaner to clean the chambers. I focused on the middle chamber the most as that is where the shaft spins I believe. The carb cleaner didn't help at all.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not recommending you do this, but; you can file or use a dremel to create a flathead/minus head bolt and unscrew it that way. You need to ensure that the rotary valve is spinning freely. I would also recommend checking for exhaust leaks/vacuum leaks.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:48 PM

How is the rotary control valve suppose to spin? Once I move it up, it returns to its down position.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
How is the rotary control valve suppose to spin? Once I move it up, it returns to its down position.
You should be able to flick it, and it continue to spin several revolutions.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Going to find a way to open it up today and get the reinstalled back in the car. I hope this works!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
Should I just buy an whole new unit from Majestic Honda for 160$ or clean it out using Billman's technique? I can't find that damn five point t20 torx... I was thinking about taking it into the dealership for service, but i'm not sure how much they are planning to charge me.

Anyways, I cleaned the IAC by unscrewing the two 10mm bolts and using carb cleaner to clean the chambers. I focused on the middle chamber the most as that is where the shaft spins I believe. The carb cleaner didn't help at all.
I wouldn't spend the money on a new unit, when cleaing it is completely sufficient.

Do you have a Harbor Freight around you? They sell a security bit set that I believe is where I found that tool, and it's only like $6-10. Not the greatest quality (like everything there) but sufficient for a job like this.

Or as another member said above, just file/dremel/saw a slot into it so you can use a flat blade screwdriver. Just be careful not to go too deep. You may also want to find replacement screws so the next time you have to do this, it isn't such a headache.

Edit - if your location on your profile is right, then you have a Harbor Freight nearby: <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
Harbor Freight Tools
150 W. Picacho AVE
Las Cruces, NM 88005
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the link! They didn't have the tools so I just cut the screws and got a flat head in there. I cleaned the IAC as billman suggested, reinstalled, and now my car has a weird drone to it, vibrating alot more then usual as well. No check engine light though. I'm letting the ECU relearn as I'm typing.

Quick Reply: Idle fluctuating, car stalls when stopped