S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Idle Air Control Valve DTC & Failed Emissions Test

Old 03-01-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Air Control Valve DTC & Failed Emissions Test

My CEL light came on recently and I checked the blink code, 1 - 4, with an old posting. The poting indicated the idle air control valve. This made sense as the idle was unsteady. I called for the price on a new one and was quoted $158. So I felt it was worth a shot at taking it off an looking it over, especially since the dealer couldn't get me a new one for a couple of days. I took it off and saw it had a good coating of black crap (very technical description) inside. Pushing my luck further I separated the two halves and proceeded to clean the black crap out of the inside, especially on what looks to be a rubberish (but harder) flap. I reinstalled it, reset the computer, and the car starts up much better. I will have to watch it over the next few days as there was one section I could not get at to clean. If anyone has this code come up I would recommend the cleaning as a first step, but if you've got the cash you can save some time by just replacing it.

Now my question - my car failed inspection because Massachusetts has a system where the inspection station hooks up to your OBDII connector and the car fails if its had any recent CELs. I know how to reset the current CEL but can you clear out past CELs? The guy at the inspection station told me a certain number of start cycles without a CEL will eventually clear the memory, but I would like to get the big R (for reject) sticker off my windshield sooner rather than later. That will cut down on my interactions with the local police.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
MIC

Maybe Honda can clear out the codes?
Can someone post a picture of the idle air control valve?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:55 AM

I was way too optimistic. Same idle problem was back this morning and same CEL code. The more I think about this the more I question whether or not the idle air control valve can be defective. I question it because after the car has warmed up (two bars on the temp), even with the idle varying between 1500 and 1600, if I turn off the motor, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on, the idle goes back to normal. So if the valve is not functioning why would it only not function when the engine is "cold". Would appreciate any advice and still looking for the answer to the question on clearing out past CEL codes (not just reseting current one).