S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Idle Air Control Valve

Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Air Control Valve

I have read post after post in the search on the board and still cannot come to a conclusion.

Here is what the car is doing...

A week ago I start the car up in the moring, in my garage it was about 60 degrees. On my way to work the check enging light came on. I have a scanner at work so I thought nothing of it and figured it was my test pipe, and I would scan it when I got to work. The first traffic light I got to with the CEL on the car was idling at 1500 rpm which it never does and then it started jumping up and down real quick between 1600 and 1800 rpm. I shut it off and started it back up at the light. Idle problem went away but the CEL was still on. When I got to work and scanned it I got a code 1519 Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Malfunction. I did some quick scans of the board and read that I should clean it out. I did then I cleared the codes and drove the car... NO CEL. I thought it was a fluke and I fixed it. The next morning I turned the car on and instantly the CEL was on, but no idle problem. Soon as the car warmed to 2 bars the idle problem came. I turned the car off and then started it again but the idle was still jumping. After it got to 3 bars I turned it off again and restarted it and the idle was fine.

I scaned it again and the same 1519 code. Now every morning it does this. I drive it, warm it up to 3 bars, turn it off, restart, and then clear the codes out, and it is fine all day long. Even sitting at work all day when i start it up to leave I get no CEL. But every morning there is my CEL friend and I have to warm it up, turn it off, clear computer, and then all is fine.

I called the dealer to replace the valve. My cost on it is around $130. But before I go spending the money on it I want some opinions from people that may have messed with this before. Will replacing the valve fix my problem or is it something else.

BTW the car is a 01 with 49k miles and I have some mods but none are recent.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always try and clean it - before replacing it....
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 AM

I have cleaned it. It still pulls the light.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Are you talking about replacing just the physical valve, or does that include the "circuit" that controls it? From the code description, it sound like the car is detecting an electrical problem controlling the valve, not necessarily the valve itself.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 AM

Thats what I am asking. How do I test the circuit. I have delt with alot of CEL on cars before and alot of times when it says circuit malfunction it is just the part itself. A common ford code is O2 heater circuit malfunction and all you have to do is replace the O2 sensor.

And if it is a electrical problem why would it only do it when it is cold?

Funny thing is the weather warmed up today and the light did not come on this morning.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the connector is pulling free. Not sure you can put a zip-tie around it like you can the MAP.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM

good luck speedy!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Connector has great contact. I found a IACV used at a junk yard around here for $50. Should I just buy it and see if it fixes my problem?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, they don't usually go bad.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM

I had this issue after putting the turbo on my car, and it persisted (though it was always somewhat sporadic) until I bled the cooling system, which I had initially forgotten to do. That was probably 2yrs ago and it never came back.

Quick Reply: Idle Air Control Valve