S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Identifying Rear Noise

Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying Rear Noise

I’ve been having a wining/wurring coming from the rear of the car, The sound can be decribed as a pulsing wurr when the car reaches speeds of about 60mph. The sounds does not seem to increase with speed. I believe it is either coming from the center or drivers side. I suspected that it could be related to a pot hole I hit last winter throwing the bearing out of round but I couldn’t be sure. So this weekend I tested the hub –
20140607_172546 by aguroka233, on Flickr

Wiggled the rotor and couldn’t get anything to budge. I also changed the diff fluid in hopes that it would fix the problem with no luck. Any suggestions on what to check next?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Endlink or sway bar bushings?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Endlink or sway bar bushings?
I don't think it's a sway bar issue the sounds is too consistent. Any other ideas?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Could just be the tire. Wear down. Flip left to right see if noise moves
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Tires are brand new probably less than 1,000 miles on them Dunlop Direzza ZIIs all around.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Hey just adding some 2 cents. Great choice in tires definitely aggressive... but also known to be noisy especially with slight to moderate negative camber. Larger tread grooves increase the amount of drag or force applied to next section of tire contacting the ground i.e. causing a slight chop even after 1000 miles. The humm created by a tire is a vibration to which every vibration has a maximum frequency. and just so happens after 60 you hit maximum frequency.

Rec keep it simple stupid method. (not calling you stupid but this is the term we use when getting in over our heads with a diagnosis)

A wheel bearing noise will always change with wheel speed, so take the car out at around 30mph or whenever the noise starts to become aggressive and make hard swooping turns. typically the more force you put on a worn wheel bearing the more noise it will make... but not always. The noise should almost go away with either all the weight on that side or none. A test drive with a friend may be necessary to determine side if change in noise is detected on turns. If the noise doesn't go away... its most likely tires.

Rotate those directional tires to the opposite side and drive. If the noise isn't gone the frequency has def. changed. That's if the tires are the one to blame.

The last typical problem for this situation is the grooves created by your pinion gear against the ring gear caused over time. typically a mid pitch to high at about 60 but another indicator is the pitch on accell vs decell.

Have a great day!! any questions are welcomed!!!

Audi tech that happens to love S2Ks
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dailyS2Kaddict
Hey just adding some 2 cents. Great choice in tires definitely aggressive... but also known to be noisy especially with slight to moderate negative camber. Larger tread grooves increase the amount of drag or force applied to next section of tire contacting the ground i.e. causing a slight chop even after 1000 miles. The humm created by a tire is a vibration to which every vibration has a maximum frequency. and just so happens after 60 you hit maximum frequency.

Rec keep it simple stupid method. (not calling you stupid but this is the term we use when getting in over our heads with a diagnosis)

A wheel bearing noise will always change with wheel speed, so take the car out at around 30mph or whenever the noise starts to become aggressive and make hard swooping turns. typically the more force you put on a worn wheel bearing the more noise it will make... but not always. The noise should almost go away with either all the weight on that side or none. A test drive with a friend may be necessary to determine side if change in noise is detected on turns. If the noise doesn't go away... its most likely tires.

Rotate those directional tires to the opposite side and drive. If the noise isn't gone the frequency has def. changed. That's if the tires are the one to blame.

The last typical problem for this situation is the grooves created by your pinion gear against the ring gear caused over time. typically a mid pitch to high at about 60 but another indicator is the pitch on accell vs decell.

Have a great day!! any questions are welcomed!!!

Audi tech that happens to love S2Ks
I thought about tires but there is no noise coming from the front of the car.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM

I am having this exact same problem with my car. I bought my car a few months ago and the previous owner has the rear fender liner removed and possibly thought that I just don't have as much insulation and therefore here the same noise. The sound does sound rotational if that makes sense. It does sound like its coming from my tires, but I also just put on brand new tires on my car and got an alignment from Evasive a few months ago.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by RagingCheese
I am having this exact same problem with my car. I bought my car a few months ago and the previous owner has the rear fender liner removed and possibly thought that I just don't have as much insulation and therefore here the same noise. The sound does sound rotational if that makes sense. It does sound like its coming from my tires, but I also just put on brand new tires on my car and got an alignment from Evasive a few months ago.
What kind of tires did you go with? Notice any sound coming from the front of the car?

I don't think the S2k Ap1 or 2 have rear fender liners, You can buy aftermarket ones here https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/915...now-available/
Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Originally Posted by RagingCheese' timestamp='1402455506' post='23198835
What kind of tires did you go with? Notice any sound coming from the front of the car?

I don't think the S2k Ap1 or 2 have rear fender liners, You can buy aftermarket ones here https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/915...now-available/
Oh I didnt know that. Well then that makes me wonder even more as to why I am getting such a loud road like noise coming from the rear of my car.

I went with Sumitomo HTR Z3. The tires I had on my previous rims that came with the car were Nitto NT05 and they made the same noise as well. Which leads me to believe this noise is not coming from the tires. Something from the rear of the car is making this noise.

Quick Reply: Identifying Rear Noise