S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Idea for supercharged people

Old 08-13-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think air/air is better then water/air other wise why would most turbo setups use air/air? As far as the blower the Paxton unit will only spin up to around 12psi before its maxed out. I have never heard of anyone running the boost up high and regulating the boost at a certain level with a SC but I guess it is possible. I would think it would put a lot of strain on the engine though. By the time you purchase all that is needed to get the kit running safely (smaller pulley, injectors, fuel computer, intercooler, piping) it might be cheaper to go with a turbo setup.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:44 PM

reigman
most people go with air/air set up due to cost it is cheaper solution.

You also may be right about the cost involved and it maybe better to go to a turbo in the long run.

big ben,

your point could be valid although it can be countered with the fact that pressurization is lost due to the disctance that the air travels from the turbo through piping and then spreads across the intercooler and then back through to the up pipe into the intake.

look at my picture above the air traveled through s/c housing is a straight into the air cooler and then a shot gun run straight into the intake.

I don't know whether drive ability means anything to a person when choosing a F/I application, but I like the fact that the supercharger isn't all of a sudden going off with boost in the middle of a corner. Stablization of power with in the application is very nice!

Bleeding off boost is a very simple thought.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I expect you could go a slightly smaller pulley (more boost) and a front mount IC (slight loss) and get the same pressure, but with cooler denser air.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:29 AM

pressurization isn't lost from the length of piping. The only thing that could cause a loss in pressure is the intercooler. It may take a half of a second to pressurize the longer charge pipe route with a front mount in line with it, but there will be no pressure loss because of more piping.

The pressure loss that is seen across an intercooler will be seen across any intercooler whether it be an air/air or an air/water. The reason is because air(oxygen), is a fluid that will lose pressure as it is cooled. Just like it will increase in pressure as it is heated. As long as it's in a closed system.

Hey, I learned something from chemestry and thermodynamics.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:38 AM

I do see the point about the money factor though. I guess it all comes down to what you want, SC or turbo. I have built my own turbo system on my last car and it was nothing but a tuning headache. The tuning was NEVER done. I always had to tinker with it about once a week.

With turbo, you have to adjust fuel according to boost and rpm. With a supercharger, boost is linear relative to rpm so that takes away one of the tuning parameters. You just adjust the fuel according to the rpm. A supercharger induces drag on your motor, a turbo doesn't. I guess you have to pick your poison.

But really and truely, since I can fabricate all needed parts for the front mount in a SC system, the only cost would be the pulley, intercooler, the tubing(cheap), and a fuel controler and a good blow off valve. And you may be able to get away with using just larger injectors and an FMU coupled with the vafc. But the best method of controling the fuel is controling the pulse duration and not just trying to ram more fuel in during the same length of injection pulse like an FMU does.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:54 AM

All I know is that I like the idea of driving my car without problems. I may not even mess with it at all. I am enjoying the fact that I installed the kit myself and I have ZERO issues.

At a track event earlier this year, some guy came out with an Eclipse and was claiming 400 to the wheels, he couldn't keep the car from dying, I'm nit sure how he even drove it there. All I heard was "I am having turbo tuning problems". I will be blowing by him at the next event SC and not having SC tuning problems.

Turbo's & S2000 don't go well together in the same sentence. Look at hobbyholic, Wes, the Chris's and many others that haven't driven there cars but a few months out of each year of ownership. This is why I may just leave the system alone and be happy with the fact that my car will now beat the majority of cars on the road with out problems associated with it.

I will agree to disagree with air/air being cooler than air/water.

big ben,

You and I should meet up sometime, I am just slightly West of DFDUBYA. Tonight I will be getting the VAFC tuned and making my first pass on the dyno. MODS: DC sports header and single outlet JIC full ti without silencer all the time. My car sounds like a F1 coming down the road.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:58 AM

Piping size and length will not need more or less pressure to get the air pushed through? Then why would some exit piping be 3" and then on the intake side be 2.5 inch? To increase velocity due to pressurized loss? That is like blowing in a straw that is 3 feet long and trying to shoot a paper wad out the other side, you will have to blow harder than one that is 1 foot long. A little scratch my head and shade tree mechanic dynamics.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by CMiS2K
Piping size and length will not need more or less pressure to get the air pushed through? Then why would some exit piping be 3" and then on the intake side be 2.5 inch? To increase velocity due to pressurized loss? That is like blowing in a straw that is 3 feet long and trying to shoot a paper wad out the other side, you will have to blow harder than one that is 1 foot long. A little scratch my head and shade tree mechanic dynamics.
You shouldn't have to blow harder with a longer straw, just longer. Longer / wider the intake piping would probably just reduce throttle response.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]At a track event earlier this year, some guy came out with an Eclipse and was claiming 400 to the wheels, he couldn't keep the car from dying, I'm nit sure how he even drove it there. All I heard was "I am having turbo tuning problems". I will be blowing by him at the next event SC and not having SC tuning problems.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:38 AM

Longer / wider the intake piping would probably just reduce throttle response.
Exactly, this is why the tubing shouldn't be larger than your TB.

Quick Reply: Idea for supercharged people