S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Would you spend the extra to get a "Bib" for your baby?
Hell yea! She's worth it!
30.00%
Eh, basics are the best.
20.00%
If I could get a discount, then I'm in.
50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

I went on to the internet... *Update: It's Here!*

Old 01-03-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
I wouldnt use one of these:

too easy to scratch the car. This material is less than ideal for your paint.
I had never seen or heard of these before! And they give me an idea about maybe monogramming my cover when I get it.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odd since I assume that's what there purpose is. Though I have never seen one in person. Also looks like same material as most other fender covers. Every car cover though is only as good as how clean you keep the car surface side of the material.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by postman
Odd since I assume that's what there purpose is. Though I have never seen one in person. Also looks like same material as most other fender covers. Every car cover though is only as good as how clean you keep the car surface side of the material.
Truer words were never spoken.

UPDATE:

The blueprint for the cover have been made, and the money has been sent. It is now just a couple of weeks until the Bib is finished and on my door step. The grand total was $195, including sales tax and shipping. I asked about whether or not a discount would be offered to members of the forum and as of this moment I have yet to hear back. When I call them tomorrow, I hope to get an answer.

If any measurements need to be changed in any way, too much coverage, not enough, etc, I will call them and they will change the blueprints accordingly for a better fit for other S2k's.

As of now, the only color available is black. Obviously the reason is because stains are much less noticeable in this color. However I was told, that different colors might be available in the future. I'll keep you all posted on any further developments.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 PM

*Bump
Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm interested in this for future projects. Please check in again when yours arrives.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would possibly be interested in one of these as well.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:22 PM

Well, it finally arrived a few days ago, but with work, school starting up, and catching a cold, I've been unable to give an update.....until now.

I have always believed quality was something tactile. One could always get a sense that something was or was not quality merely by examining it. It's probably a reason why many still prefer to shop in person and why online shopping has always been a bit of a gamble.But in this instance, the gamble paid off big! Also the Bib being featured on Jay Leno's Garage might've had something to do with putting my fears of crappy workmanship to rest as, I think we all can agree, Jay Leno probably isn't one for low standards and poor quality. But I digress....

As it was stated in the video, the Bib is made from one massive moving blanket with the appropriate shape of the engine bay, as measured by the customer, cut out of the middle. The Bib has a "Zig-Zag" or herringbone, if you prefer, stitching pattern all over both sides of the cover. I surmise this is to keep the material inside the Bib from detaching from the rest and getting lumped up in the corners after use. The material itself as thick. Not so much that the cover becomes unwieldy and too bulky to handle, but not so little, that you are afraid if a wrench might inadvertently slip out of your grasp it will chip and damage your paint as it clatters it's way to the ground. All of the seams are well-stitched to prevent fraying. "You get what you pay for", as the saying goes, and for what I spent, I felt like I got a great deal. After initial examination and finally setting the cover up, I am absolutely convinced this cover is a must-have for the avid DIY'er and their S!

If there were any deviations from the measurements I took, they are negligible at worst, and can easily be explained by human error on my part during the measuring process. There are one or two seems that are not flawlessly straight, but again, the imperfections are on such a minor scale, they hardly warrant the mental thought over. The only issue I have with the cover is the requisite need to do the "Hospital Corner" folding procedure in order to keep the cover neat and off the ground. This method is ideal for the front end of cars like the classic Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, GTO's etc. which have very box-like styling at the front. With these shapes, it is much easier to fold the Corners in this manner and keep them in place with the fully stitched in velcro strips at the edges, due to the slab-sided styling and design of those cars. However, with a low nose, and very curvy corners, this procedure is not as robust. When I first set the cover up, the folded corners kept sliding down and flopping to the floor. I have determined the problem to be a lack of grip from the velcro strips holding the folded corners together. This was proven to me when I used a temporary solution by using two medium-sized binder clips folding the folded corners in place at the bottom edges. The cover sat this way for 45 minutes with no problem. By the time I had taken these pics, I had not fully perfected the folding arrangement and placement of the clips, which is why the corners might look a bit "slouchy" in the pics. I have yet to send a finalized list of revisions to Bob, but when I have a chance it will include wider velcro strips and more of them to solve this minor issue.

The cover did come with a storage bag, but I have found it so much easier to fold it up gently and store it in a clear plastic storage box with a latchable lid, like ones you find at Bed, Bath and Beyond, or Target.

On to the pictures!

Here is a view of the car head-on. From here I can show my biggest concern: The overall length of the material is a bit too close to the ground for my taste. However, that is down to my measurements. Raising the cover about two inches at most, I think, would be ideal.

Here we can see the "Hospital Corners" folding arrangement which is necessary to keep the cover fitting perfect and keep it off the ground. Here, the thickness of the material makes the cover a very slight pain to deal with as you have to fold it up. It took a bit of fiddling with, but after these pics were taken, I got it.

As we can see here, this is the cowling flap I mentioned. A perfect place to set tools! The edges of the Bib are tucked in between the hood's outer edge and the inner edge of the driver's side fender, around the hood hinges. It provide a more effective means of securing the fender bib than I anticipated. It gives a very snug fit. But like all things with a snug fit, best take care to be gentle to void rips and tears.

Here is another angle of the back side of the hinge slot on the Bib further illustrating how it all fits in place.

Need to work under the cowling? Not a problem. The flap can easily be folded back to allow access. Doing so will not put undue stress on the Bib, as long as it is done carefully. As you can see in these pics the hood is in the service position, or fully up position with no problems at all. And the same goes for when the hood is in the half-open position.

Perfectly adequate protection achieved on the passenger side fender.....

.....and on the driver's side fender.

Here is a close-up of the folding arrangement on the passenger side corner. Perhaps, I could have the material trimmed and stitched together, thus eliminating the folding procedure entirely? Perhaps later on down the line, maybe.

Done with work for the day? Just close the hood down partially and you're all set. No rubbing or binding at all.

Hope you enjoyed this little "review" I did. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!!