S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I think my tranny or clutch is bad.....

Old 08-09-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my tranny or clutch is bad.....

I picked up this Spa with 8 miles on the clock. I've had it for over 2 weeks and put on 1300+ miles. Ever since the day I brought it home it has felt weird when shifting. It almost takes a slight forcing to get into gear. Like it has to go through 2 gates to get in. I even had a problem where it wouldnt go into 1st until I started to release the clutch, then it slid in easily.

I'm thinking it is a clutch problem but my tranny makes a weird noise too. This car was properly broken in (well over 700 miles of pampering and no dropping the clutch even as of today). I think last night was the first time we took it close to redline too!! I just dont want to drive around with a notchy tranny thinking this is the way it's supossed to be. It almost reminds me of my 00 Celica GT-s w/syncro probs and without the grinding.

Anyone have any ideas or is this how hey all are? I'd apreciate any feedback. TIA
Old 08-09-2003, 09:46 AM

That sucks! After all that waiting for you to be dissatisfied. Hmmm... maybe try taking it to honda since its under warranty and have them change the fluid. This way you can start a file at 1300 miles in case the tranny or clutch is bad and they will replace it w/o any hassle later with claims of driver abuse.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:47 AM

since its under warranty, take it to the dealership and have them test it out. my 03 shifts like butter and is slightly notchy when its cold. try driving another s2k at teh dealership and see if it feels the same...
Old 08-09-2003, 10:02 AM

Quik: Your decription was a carbon copy of my '03 with the exception of the noise. Like Razor, my transmission buttery smooth once it's warmed up with some notchiness when cold. Can you decribe the noise? I'll pay close attention to mine the next time I drive it . . probably tomorrow(Sunday).
Old 08-09-2003, 10:31 AM

It seems like a growl noise when you shift. I think it is a bad clutch myself. I want to take it to the dealership today but it is under the knife as we speak getting the alarm finalized. Tomorrow is another busy day so maybe Monday.

Hey Shawn, maybe you can go for a ride in it tomorrow and you can let me know if its normal. I dont remember the one we took for a test drive being that way, but it was so long ago.....

Boit...ours is definately not smooth. Like I said, it's almost as if we are shifting through 2 gates to get it in gear. Thanks for your guys help
Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quik S2K
[B]It seems like a growl noise when you shift.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:40 AM

I have driven my car for a couple 100 miles and tried all sorts of things to make the noises you mentioned. It's quiet and very smooth. Can you describe your clutch pedal free-play? I'm wondering if you are experiencing clutch drag.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:12 AM

the transmission has a lockout, over 10 mph and it won't go into 1st unless you REALLY force it or rev match. also every once in a blue moon mine won't go all the way into 1st until I start engaging the clutch.

i think everything you are experiencing is normal.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squeezer
[B]the transmission has a lockout, over 10 mph and it won't go into 1st unless you REALLY force it or rev match.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:43 AM

The car felt normal to me when I drove it. In fact it shifts a lot smoother than my 2001. I think it may just be cold and you are feeling the synchros. Take it to Honda and have them check it out just in case to give you piece of mind.

Quick Reply: I think my tranny or clutch is bad.....