S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I think my S just broke...

Old 06-20-2003, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spoon, you raise a very good point, one I hadn't thought of. There is potential for a constant drip or stream to wash away some of the oil along the top of the filter. IF that were to happen (of course, we don't know if that's the case, just IF), then the stream would slowly leak into the filter. The oil along the bottom of the filter might take some time to wash away itself, thereby allowing a significant puddle of water to form.

Lord, was the car parked on an incline? How long was the car out there? Did you see ANY flodding around the area? How heavy was the rain?
Old 06-20-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it doesnt take long for the oil to start to wash away - i had a K&N in my VR6 that was leaking reddish oily water into the engine bay due to coming in contact with condensation from the AC lines...checked where it was coming into contact and the cotton was pinkish whote - not red anymore - i.e. - no oil...
Old 06-20-2003, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Lord, was the car parked on an incline?
Old 06-20-2003, 04:14 PM

BELIVE ME it's rain water the same thing happend to me about 2 hours ago and i pulled the bottom of the intake out and it was almost completely full of water and it was only parked in the lot while i was at work level ground no real heavy rain hopefully i can fix it as easy as u did
Old 06-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]spoon, you raise a very good point, one I hadn't thought of.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:24 PM

Step 1: open wife's undie drawer
Step 2: remove 10 denier hose from said draw
Step 3: place stockings in glove box
Step 4: when heavy rain is forecast remove stockings and place over intake
Step 5: remove stockings prior to showing buddies your flash VTec

This will not prevent migrating water, but it will reduce it - while reducing airflow very little.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4IG, I'm not beating a dead horse, I'm trying to determine the exact cause of water ingestion. As long as you want to charge money for an item that will only sell if you SCARE people, I'm going to question its validity, and I have every right to do so. And as long as you are a sponsor of this board and receiving a profit from sales garnered from this board, you WILL continue to accept this questioning or find somewhere else to hock your wares. You claim to be sick of me questioning the validity, but I claim to be sick of your attitude of "Who cares what the cause of hydrolock is, just buy my product!"

The moment you don't like potential customers and other members of this board questioning the validity of your claims, you should start looking for somewhere ELSE to hock your wares. I have always stated that I would recant my views if proof to the contrary is shown, and I have on the few ocassions where proof has come forward. The moment I recant something, your first reply in big bold letters is "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, IN YOUR FACE MACGYVER" ...grow up and act like an adult. You are a sponsor, you sell products on here for profit, and as such it is not only my responsibility, but my RIGHT to question those sales. I have admitted that the POSSIBILITY is there for hydrolock under those circumstances, and I am trying to pin down the exact cause. You seem interested in one thing and one thing only, making a sale by using scare tactics. Some may fall prey to it, and if so, that's a shame. Instead, what you SHOULD be doing is explaining exactly WHY you believe this is a problem and HOW you believe it occurs, not merely saying "Shit happens, we can fix it." Only THEN can you say your product has merit.

If you stopped long enough to actually READ what I wrote, I said thereisnospoon has made a very valid point, one I had not thought of before. I also asked LordMagnet those questions to help solve the mystery. But it has become obvious you don't actually CARE what the real issue is, you only care about making the sale by allowing people to believe a problem exists with their current setup. You have NEVER questioned the situation Lord was in, you have NEVER questioned what he found, you ONLY said "See? Rain causes hydrolock!" Personally, I think that's piss poor business, and you're getting ticked at me for making people stop and think for themselves.

I also find it very interesting that quite a few people have been using AEM (and knockoff) CAIs for over 2 years now, but the only time someone has claimed to have gone through hydrolock from rain is right around the time you announce your new "safety" product. Amazing how these things have worked for nearly 2 years flawlessly, yet somehow you design a product and start a scare tactic a month or two ago and suddenyl we're inundated with "Oh my God, I think 4IG was on to something...my engine just hydrolocked due to the rain". I'm sure these guys have run into problems, and LordMagnet sounds like he definitely sucked up some bad stuff. But the timing of all of the worried complaints is too coincidental for my taste...kind of like telling a hypochondriac he has a nasty cough.

In a nutshell, 4IG, you need to take a step back. You are a sponsor, and like it or not, you ARE held to a higher standard than most here. No more "In your face" crap, no more scare tactics, just straight facts, products and questions. Anything else being offered is lip service and a detriment to this board.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:16 PM

I'm very interested to find out what the cause of this could be.

LordMagnet, I'm sorry to hear about this mishap, and I hope you keep us updated as to anything more you learn or find out from this experience.

In my experience, I've had CAIs on almost every vehicle I've owned, all daily driven, all parked outside, and all driven in heavy rain and snow, but I've never had water ingestion problems. My understanding has always been that the filter had to be at least partially submerged for water ingestion to occur. Also, I've never known or heard of a bypass filter being tested by having water continually sprayed on the filter element, I've only seen demonstrations where the filter was submerged in a bowl or aquarium filled with water. I would have never imagined that water ingestion could occur on a car simply sitting out in the rain.

LordMagnet, I hope you don't take offense to the questions you are asked. We're not trying to place fault onto something you did, but I think we're curious to how a car that sat in rain all day could accumulate so much water in the filter element.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:21 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]4IG, I'm not beating a dead horse, I'm trying to determine the exact cause of water ingestion.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:40 PM

[B]4IG, I'm not beating a dead horse, I'm trying to determine the exact cause of water ingestion.

Quick Reply: I think my S just broke...