S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I think my S just broke...

Old 06-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion - change your oil twice. I got a bad batch of race fuel that had water in it. Do not run the car until you have changed the oil - it doesn't take much to spin a bearing. Change the oil and filter, let it idle for about 5 minutes, change the oil and filter again and then make sure the oil is free of milky streaks. It is a pain in the ass, but much cheaper than a rebuild.

-YS
Old 06-20-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 779 Likes on 469 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Hear ye, hear ye!
Old 06-20-2003, 07:09 AM

How does water drain down to the filter to accumulate there. Unless you leave the hood open I don't see how rain can reach the filter.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TepEvan
[B]

Being in the mid-atlantic area where my car is constantly outside (I live in an apt. complex), I doubt that something else wasn't going on.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with MacGyver on this. Not doubting Lord Magnet but given the facts as described here I don't see how that much water could have gotten into the CAI. What I've heard here is:

1) The car sat in moderate rain all day.
2) It wouldn't start and the culprit was determined to be water in the CAI.

If the car wasn't in a big old puddle I don't see how that much water could have gotten to the CAI. If I remember correctly from when I installed my AEM, the filter sits in an enclosed area that would prevent significant amounts of rainwater from even really hitting the CAI directly. I dunno. Again, not doubting the story here. I just don't know where all that H2O came from and whether it justifies the fear many people have about the CAI and hydrolock.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:24 AM

Are you certain it was rain water? Might it be coolant? Remember that the Throttle body has coolant flowing thru it. Maybe it sprung a leak.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:08 AM

Look, I'm not sure how it happened, but it happened. It's been raining a lot up here, but my car was acting fine, until 2 days ago, when it was sitting in rain all day and it hydrolocked. My filter is very consealed in the bumper so I have no idea how that much water got there. I never drive though any kind of puddles, small or large. Logically, it doesn't make sense to me, but it happened. It was definitely water too.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:37 AM

i think what has been brought up in other posts is that water drains into this area somehow - not that rain hits it directly. Maybe if there is a steady drain of water onto the filter it can wipe out the oil in that part of the filter allowing the water to seep directly in and then settle in the angled tube. I do think a full hydraulic lock is unlikely - but the sputtering and dying etc. etc. coudl easily be avoided, if this is the issue, by using a heat shield as a rain shield on top of the filter.

Of course - if its due to water seeping in elsewhere (dont know where) that wont help either... But - although i agree with MacGyver that the oiled fitler sheds most water - it does lose oil when wet and loses protection over time - so I am planning on keeping my filter as dry as possible.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

How could there be a puddle that could reach up to the CAI filter???

It would have to be up over your ankles!

LordMagnet- I read a while back that an owner, with the same story as you, took out the hose and let water flow onto the car, to figure out how the water is leaking onto the filter.

Why don't you do the same? You should park in the same spot where your incident happened, especially if the ground there is not level. The angle of the car may have something to do with it.

Then you might be able to clarify this issue.

-Pete
Old 06-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its from the drain hole!!!! on the fender!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I think my S just broke...