S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I think my S just broke...

Old 06-19-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well good news guys, got my car working again.

Here's what I did:
- I disassembled the intake (which was flooded with water)
- Took out the spark plugs (wiped them off)
- Took off the throttle body (wiped it off)
- Vaccummed the intake manifold clean(which was also flooded)
- Manually cranked the engine while vaccumming out the water out of the intake manifold
- Started the engine without the spark plugs in so the water shot out of the plug holes.
- After cleaning out the spark plug holes, and reassembling the throttle body I tried starting it. It shuttered a little and eventually after a few tries of starting it, it started back up.

Thank god the water didn't do any internal damage (that i know of). But now I have to replace a hose, and also change my oil (because i'm pretty sure water mixed in there too.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hope this never happens to any of you. Now off to buy a bypass valve.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LordMagnet

- Started the engine without the spark plugs in so the water shot out of the plug holes.
how did you do this?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by payyourtoll

how did you do this?
Just held down the 'Start' button. It doesn't "Start", so poor shoice of wording on my part. It'll just keep trying to turn over, and shoots the water out.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Former Moderator

How in the hell does this happen? I'm really trying to understand this.

You drive the car... it's dry and and everything is running fine. You then park it. It rains. You then get water in the filter that gets sucked into the engine and either causes hydrolock or what you just had to go through?

Is there a rain channel or something that is directing water into that general area?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:27 PM

I think that the water gets into the filter such as Kodokan said, then it's stores there because the piping is flat at the bottow part and it has no where to go out, then i guess it just builds up without me knowing, then this happens (read above). This is how i assume it happened. So I'm gonna make it a habit to check my intake everyone once in a while for water build up. I'd advise everyone else with this intake to do the same.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hear ye, hear ye! MacGyver officially announces that he has found a REPUTABLE case of a CAI causing water ingestion when used in a responsible manner.

Luckily it didn't cause a full hydrolock, just a huge mess. Although I admit the facts point to the CAI, I still cannot imagine (at least logically) HOW everything happened. Lord, you said there was a flood of water in the CAI...can you be more specific? How much water (say, in cups) do you think was in the intake and how much did you get out of the throttle body and engine? Also, how much of an angle does the CAI point upwards?
Old 06-19-2003, 07:30 PM

You didn't mention changing the oil, if you didn't I would recommend doing this. Glad you got everything working again w/o any major issues. Although I still do not understand how the CAI filled with water with the engine off.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:42 PM

Damn dude...that sux. Glad to hear you got everything settled though. Thats one of the reasons why I dont want a CAI. Afraid of what it could do. Definately a Bypass valve is in order.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Hear ye, hear ye!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:22 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Hear ye, hear ye!

Quick Reply: I think my S just broke...