S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I think my S just broke...

Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my S just broke...

Ok, here's the situation:
I started my car today after it's been raining all day long. It made some unusual sounds and it was idling low, 1500 rpm instead of the usual 2000. I gave it a little rev to see what happens, power was cut at about 3000 and it stalled. Whenever i try to start it it'll make a click then cut all the power, nothing else. I know it's not a power issue because all the power is working fine.... can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in the sub-tropics, my car idles at 900 RPM upon startup. If the ambient temperature is colder initial idle will be higher, but since it's summer 1500 doesn't sound too low on a cold start. I don't know why it stalled or if any of this has to do with rain. Since you have a cold air intake, are you worried that water entered the engine?

Your problem with re-starting sounds like a dead battery. The click is the solenoid actuating, but then there isn't enough power to operate the starter. Often the battery can provide enough power to illuminate your lights, but not have enough to start the engine. I'd check the battery first, and if that's not it, investigate more serious concerns.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:47 AM

It is a dead battery because that same thing happen to me. Radio, horn , lights etc all worked but the car wouldn't turn on. At least you were at home when it happened. I on the other hand was not so lucky because It happened to me at a restaurant. I had to push start it and drive to the dealer. Luckily I made it and the battery was replaced.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did yopu leave the car outside while it was raining?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id first check the basics - plugs + wires, fluid levels and grounds.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:11 PM

Make sure all your VAFC wires are still connected.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:21 PM

Well... I just took apart my AEM CAI, and was greeted with a flood of water.... so I guess I know what happened to the engine I just don't understand it though, i didn't go through any big (or small) puddles, it was just sitting in the rain all day, not even heavy rain. It was running fine the previous night....
Old 06-19-2003, 12:31 PM

nnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 06-19-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I asking is you left it in the rain...... sorry to hear this dude......
Old 06-19-2003, 12:47 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

From what I have read on this site, the most common cause of hydrolock is not driving through puddles, it is due to the accumulation of water that drains down onto the filter. I've read about this same scenario at least four other times.

I've also read that if you start the car, but don't hit the accellerator, there is not enough suction to get the water all the way into the engine, so for future reference, if anyone has a CAI, and you start your car when it's wet, and it's not idling right- DON'T HIT THE GAS!!!- check your air filter first.

Sorry to read about your bad luck. Hope your engine is okay.

-Pete

Quick Reply: I think my S just broke...