S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I think I killed VSA

Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I killed VSA

Hey guys, have a problem with VSA. I normally turn it off unless driving in bad weather, but it quit working a few weeks ago when I went to remove the steering wheel to strip the old leather cover and put on a new one. But in the process of removal, I broke the cable reel behind the steering wheel. To make things worse, I put the steering wheel slightly off center from its original position. When I went to drive off, the triangle ! and VSA lights came on after driving about 75 ft. After I realized the steering wheel was off center, I pulled the steering wheel, replaced the cable reel. Everything seems to be fixed now, except the VSA lights never went off.
This past week, I tried jumping terminals 9 and 4 on the OBDII port and the ABS light flashed code 27 (steering angle sensor failure), and 86 (F-can communication). I was able to clear code 86 using the steps here: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-electronics/31353-error-code-84-vsa-sensor-neutral-position-memorization.htmlMy link

I could not get the 27 code to clear, so I tried the neutral position memorization procedure mentioned in the above link. All that did was throw code 81, (central processing unit). So I finally gave in this week and let the dealer look at the car. Luckily, they didn’t charge me anything for spending two hours looking at the car since my family has used this dealer for years with good service. Unfortunately, they had no luck getting either code 27 or 81 to clear. They claimed that the steering angle sensor is reading correctly, but perhaps replacing that sensor would be worth it. From my understanding, that sensor is in the combination switch immediately behind the steering reel cable. Can anyone confirm?

At this point, I don’t think the dealer is going to be any help, since they want to troubleshoot per the Honda manual. They actually checked my alignment (set up with extra camber for track/autox) and thought either that or the fact that the car is lowered could be part of the problem. However, I have had the car setup that way for years and VSA has never been an issue.

Other than the steering angle sensor, is there anything else I could check? Why would VSA throw the 81 code just because the neutral position memorization process failed? If fixing this requires throwing parts at the car until its fixed, I’ll just live without VSA functionality. I don’t use it, but it does irk me when something on the car doesn’t work, whether I use it or not.
Also, don’t be stupid like me and use brute force to remove the steering wheel, that’s what pullers are for