S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I really need help. Solid engine light and blinking engine light.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I really need help. Solid engine light and blinking engine light.

I was driving today and i miss shifted from 3rd to 2nd.. f***... third time i've done this.
(dunno if this is the problem)

Everything ran fine. Then i noticed the car sounded a bit funky. A bit like missfiring..
Then i drove it again and the engine light came on. (Solid light) And after that when driving a few feet blinking engine light. (which i guess is missfire)

I drove the car the closest way to the garage and checked the oil. And the oil was on low. Maybe that's why the solid engine light came on.

But at the same time it missfired, when i was driving to my garage spot it kinda jumped heavy, heavy missfire just for a bit.

What could this be Bent valves possibly?... I love my little S2k... Please help
Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ap1 or 2. What mileage?
Have you done the retainer upgrade if you have an ap1.

Both of those conditions, mis-shift and high rev driving with low oil could, and possibly did result in catastrophic damage.

Stop driving it.

Are you mechanical enough to perform compression test, inspect retainers, etc...?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

need to pull the code first and see what the CEL is for.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Pull the code , if the CEL is flashing STOP driving ASAP!
after you did all this take your valve cover off and inspect. Stop forgetting to add oil in your car too if you love it

Get a leakdown test done ( different to a compression test). It will tell you which valves are leaking or if its a ring/piston problem.

If the valve clearances were loose this can be a sign that the valves were bent. When the valve heads are tilted slightly the valve clearances open up.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by MR.T
Ap1 or 2. What mileage?

Both of those conditions, mis-shift and high rev driving with low oil could, and possibly did result in catastrophic damage.

Stop driving it.

Are you mechanical enough to perform compression test, inspect retainers, etc...?
AP1, 30k Miles. Not sure about the retainers. I know it's been serviced as it should. I will try to loosen the battery and refill the oil. Dunno if the ECU has problems reading when to fire etc when revving so high.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Smeek
Originally Posted by MR.T' timestamp='1395595733' post='23076943
Ap1 or 2. What mileage?

Stop driving it.

AP1, 30k Miles. Not sure about the retainers. I know it's been serviced as it should. I will try to loosen the battery and refill the oil. Dunno if the ECU has problems reading when to fire etc when revving so high.
just pull the cel first then check the valves.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by DutchyFutch
Originally Posted by Smeek' timestamp='1395598164' post='23077001
[quote name='MR.T' timestamp='1395595733' post='23076943']
Ap1 or 2. What mileage?

Stop driving it.

[/quote]

I'm sorry for beeing stupid, but i live in Sweden and what do you mean by CEL? Check engine ECU? or what is it? Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Smeek
Originally Posted by DutchyFutch' timestamp='1395598529' post='23077007
[quote name='Smeek' timestamp='1395598164' post='23077001']
[quote name='MR.T' timestamp='1395595733' post='23076943']
Ap1 or 2. What mileage?

Stop driving it.

[/quote]

I'm sorry for beeing stupid, but i live in Sweden and what do you mean by CEL? Check engine ECU? or what is it? Thanks for all the help guys.
[/quote]

Check engine light ofc... sorry
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm betting you got bent valves. Flashing CEL = major misfire. On the first two over revs you probsbly slightly bent some valves and this third time it got even worse. Do a compression test.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
I'm betting you got bent valves. Flashing CEL = major misfire. On the first two over revs you probsbly slightly bent some valves and this third time it got even worse. Do a compression test.
I feel so sorry for my little friend :'( As i said the engine light was also solid, (with low engine oil) Should i refill the oil and disconnect the battery for some time and try to start it again to see if the light is still coming back? Or do you guys recommend not to even start it at all??

Quick Reply: I really need help. Solid engine light and blinking engine light.