S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I miss shifted.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, thanks alot guys! appreciate all the quick responses!

-David
Old 01-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by StatixNWH,Jan 28 2007, 07:50 PM
ok well sorry, but 1 more question lol...what if I took 1st to long and hit revlimiter? since its still in gear would that be bad? havent done it but just wanna make sure if its bad not to do it
that's not too bad also, the rev limiter is doing what it is supposed to do. When I went huge single turbo on my supra, i hit the rev limiter all the time b/c after 4k rpm it would just go crazy fast to redline and sometimes i mis-judge it and it hits fuel cut and i shift.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 PM

oh ya you're fine, i miss shifted at the track once in my type r, i got to rebuild my head. so i can speak from experience, be careful
Old 01-28-2007, 08:42 PM

i just had my springs and retainers changed at 39k miles about 10k s/c and 5k of those 10 at over 10psi of boost, no cracked retainers and i think i overreved for a split second about a year ago on the freeway. you are fine.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple weeks ago I was running my car pretty hard. I had perfect shifts into 2nd and 3rd, but instead of 4th I accidentally shifted back into 2nd. I immediately pushed the clutch in and looked for a CEL. After a few days of babying the car and not hearing any strange noises, I figured I was in the clear. These engines are built pretty sturdily, and while that kind of thing can't be good, it shouldn't do any serious damage the first time it happens.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toofast4yalll,Jan 28 2007, 11:31 PM
A couple weeks ago I was running my car pretty hard. I had perfect shifts into 2nd and 3rd, but instead of 4th I accidentally shifted back into 2nd. I immediately pushed the clutch in and looked for a CEL. After a few days of babying the car and not hearing any strange noises, I figured I was in the clear. These engines are built pretty sturdily, and while that kind of thing can't be good, it shouldn't do any serious damage the first time it happens.
Have you ever heard the one where the boy tells the girl that "It's OK, you can't get pregnant the first time"?

Dude, all it takes is one time. Now you may not have done any harm or you may have -- I don't know. It all depends on how many RPMs the engine got up to. But it doesn't matter at all that it was the first time. Nor does it really matter that it didn't throw a CEL. Nor does it matter that you don't hear any strange noises.

You basically have two choices here: just let it go and hope you didn't do any damage, or get the valvetrain inspected.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:27 AM

i dont understand i miss shifted (i.e. 3rd to 2nd) my first s2000 2wice and it had over 90,000 miles on it and it never blew the motor my valve train was just alittle bit louder. i ended up selling it because of these 2 mis-shifts. honda vtec 4 cyl motors are bullit proff so u deff dont have anything to worrie about bouncing the rev limiter. i miss shifted my 04 accord v6 6-speed and it went KA-BOOOM and i had to get 2 new heads put on it. still ran on 4cyl's all the way to the dealer. just wanted to say honda's are the shit!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02s2k01s4,Jan 29 2007, 09:27 AM
i dont understand i miss shifted (i.e. 3rd to 2nd) my first s2000 2wice and it had over 90,000 miles on it and it never blew the motor my valve train was just alittle bit louder. i ended up selling it because of these 2 mis-shifts. honda vtec 4 cyl motors are bullit proff so u deff dont have anything to worrie about bouncing the rev limiter. i miss shifted my 04 accord v6 6-speed and it went KA-BOOOM and i had to get 2 new heads put on it. still ran on 4cyl's all the way to the dealer. just wanted to say honda's are the shit!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StatixNWH,Jan 28 2007, 10:24 PM
Ok well I was driving and decided to get on it in 1st, went to second and missed it and hit rev limiter (its set at 9200) I only hit it for a split second, but I was wondering if I need to get things checked? Theres no new noises or anything, just wondering if I need to do somthing, I heard thats the only real problem these cars have, and thats the reason the motor had to be rebuilt before, dont want to hafto get it done again.

Thanks!
-David
That's not a miss-shift in the traditional sense that you were planning for one gear and ended up in another.

You hit the rev-limiter. It's not a good thing to do repeatedly, but it did it's job.

If I were you, I'd make sure I clearly understood the difference between hitting the rev-limiter and mechanically over-revving the engine by downshifting to too low of a gear.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by toofast4yalll,Jan 28 2007, 11:31 PM
There are plenty of reported cases of cracked retainers from mechanical overrev (esp. on AP1), which at first show no symptoms, but later, the engine grenades (maybe even tens of thousands of miles later).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: I miss shifted.