S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1316184642' post='20979030
Moddadiction, you've just made my point.

You said:

For others I can't say except for the overwhelming evidence that many have had excessive oil consumption with mobil1.

The first five words of your sentence I agree with. And is in direct contradiction to your first post on this thread.

The second half of your sentence could be simply because Mobile 1 has about 90% of the synthetic market, so you'll hear a 9 times greater ratio of things about it than other oils.

If you don't want to believe it burns a lot more oil than other oils for many people that is fine. Myself as well as many many more on here have switched from it with great results.
If it didn't make a difference for you that is fine. All cars are different with it. I will believe results way before I believe theories on how it is not true. Can sit there all day talking about the oils etc but a result will show much more than talking about it. Changing from Mobil 1 oil has reduced oil consumption for me. I'm not an idiot and can tell when my car is consuming much more oil. Not rocket science. I do not need to replicate exact driving conditions to know this either. Glad to hear it didn't burn more for you.
Find it funny you say it didn't burn any more oil for you. Where were your tests that are needed to believe any of it? Since obviously results don't really mean anything without extreme testing. You are arguing that I am stating it burned more for me but you are stating the exact opposite without any testing either. As said above your claims are as much "anecdotal evidence" as anyone else posting in here. So I will agree to disagree.
You don't get the point. You keep arguing the same thing, contradicting and then trying to support, and then contradicting your original post.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1316184642' post='20979030
Moddadiction, you've just made my point.

If you don't want to believe it burns a lot more oil than other oils for many people that is fine.
Never said that Moddiction. In fact, more or less agreed with it.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had similar issues. I caught mine when I had only about 3 - 3.5 quarts plus the filter after about 2 - 3k miles. I would think that you could burn 3 quarts in 5k miles easy. You just need to check it regularly. I use mobile one also and I think it maybe burn faster. However it isn't an issue. You just need to check the dipstick every few weeks.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DIY krankvents!!! All you need is a supra turbo PCV value, some tubing, and hose clamp.

one man's method. I didn't need the couplers because one tube was a perfect fit inside the other. Cost me maybe $5 to make and reduced my oil consumption by a ton.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/513...#entry11221195
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM

For me it was a bit of a Mobil 1 issue. When I bought the car I switched to Mobil 1 10W30. I'll admit it was mostly due to the brand name. The car started burning ridiculous amounts of oil. I mean every thousand kms it would gulp a quart. I honestly thought I had blown the engine. I did a compression/leakdown and everything was perfect.

Then I jumped on the amsoil bandwagon and my consumption dropped to 1 quart over the whole oil change interval. My driving style was still the same. Then I tried Castrol Edge, and my consumption was about the same again. I might try redline the next drain. And yes I document my oil/gas consumption.

I mean it might be anecdotal evidence, but it sure helped my consumption issues. With so much discussion about AP1s and Mobil 1, I don't even know why anyone would run that oil, there are so many other choices out there.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM

I've been on BITOG for more than a decade and have given and received a lot of information on oil in that time.

Mobil 1 is a good oil ... but not nearly as good as their advertising would lead you to believe.

Whether it's a lawn mower or a $100,000 car, if the engine tends to consume oil, it will absolutely guzzle Mobil 1.

If you want to use Mobil 1 in your S (especially an AP1), I strongly recommend you step up to the "High-Mileage" or "EP" versions of the oil. They tend to have stronger additive packages and/or a thicker formulation (Mobil 1 is traditionally formulated thinner within the grades for increased fuel economy).
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done endless research on this issue as well and never got an exact conclusion as to "WHERE" the oil was exactly going. In my mind, if a car is burning oil it has a problem however I have since learned that this theory might be incorrect.

In my '02 AP1 I burn just over 1 quart of amsoil every 4300miles. My car does not make any blue smoke and runs as it should however having to add oil makes me think less of the car and I wish I could stop the consumption. I also notice the inside of my tailpipes are quite black and greasy. Is the oil getting past the rings or is it a PCV valve/valve cover issue. I have put a new oem PCV valve in and have tried different oils yet nothing seemed to make a difference as others have experienced. After reading these threads however my 1 quart does not seem so bad. I am just bothered most because of the fact that out of all of my other hondas, this is the ONLY one that seems to consume any oil.

Maybe if I at least had some closure that my engine was not damaged and I knew where the oil was going I would feel better!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM

lmao I have been using mobil 1 10w-30 oil for over 2 years.... and I track my car at least every other month... and its completely bone stock (except exhaust) and I have absolutely no oil consumption... BTW it's a 2002 AP1... I have heard of s2000's having oil consumption problems, but really guys? you have some issues with maintenance...

P.S I check my oil level weekly...

Edit: my car is also daily driven about 60 miles round trip. But I am a freak when it comes to engine maintenance... Also there are strict guidelines in the United States that any oil manufacturer has to adhere to, how different can oil brands really be????? Not much that's for sure. at the end of the day whichever oil your using it really doesn't matter it's all whichever tickles and strokes you D*** at the end of the day... To each there own my.02
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Downgear
I have done endless research on this issue as well and never got an exact conclusion as to "WHERE" the oil was exactly going. In my mind, if a car is burning oil it has a problem however I have since learned that this theory might be incorrect.

In my '02 AP1 I burn just over 1 quart of amsoil every 4300miles. My car does not make any blue smoke and runs as it should however having to add oil makes me think less of the car and I wish I could stop the consumption. I also notice the inside of my tailpipes are quite black and greasy. Is the oil getting past the rings or is it a PCV valve/valve cover issue. I have put a new oem PCV valve in and have tried different oils yet nothing seemed to make a difference as others have experienced. After reading these threads however my 1 quart does not seem so bad. I am just bothered most because of the fact that out of all of my other hondas, this is the ONLY one that seems to consume any oil.

Maybe if I at least had some closure that my engine was not damaged and I knew where the oil was going I would feel better!!!
One quart in 4300miles would be totally insignificant and especially for an AP1. I grew up in an era when slight oil burn was considered a positive. My opinion is that AP1's were expected to burn some oil from the day they left the showroom floor. Things and engineering have changed with the AP2 but to my knowlwdge, no one wold ever suggest that ( in writing or any publication) oil consumption has greatly improved even though it has.