S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

^For me and many others it was simply the oil. Period. Maybe for some there were other issues but it runs thinner than most oils of the same weight and thus usually burns more on AP1's. I don't think it is coincidence with all the people that have changed it for another oil only to reduce or completely eliminate oil consumption.
I have used Mobil1-switched to another same weight oil same daily commute etc and then no consumption. Back to Mobil1 with oil burning back to another oil with none. Probably switched about 3 times within the first year of ownership to the same result every time.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mobil 1 is also the factory fill for the nissan gtr. I think it's more of an AP1 issue. My AP11 burned oil since day one. Maybe it's because i babied it the first 1000 miles and the rings never sealed properly. I now have an AP2 engine with the AP1 head and AP2 valve cover and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. I did break the engine in by driving it hard from the get go.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 sheared pretty bad in mazdaspeed3 motors (that was my previous car), and from what I read here it seems to burn off in some s2000's. Now my friends bmw m3 will burn oil normally if he drives it hard, but he uses mobil1 and has had no issues with it otherwise. Also I ran mobil1 in my 03 civic si for 5 years and it didnt burn oil even at 125k miles.

Having said all that I run penzoil in my 08 s2000 currently.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 AM

I have a 03 AP1 and i have used Amsoil, Mobile 1, Royal Purple and they all burned oil ALOT my last try was on the Castro Edge Titanum or i was going to get the motor checked cuz i though it was the motor.Thank god it wasnt ive had 3 oil changes on my Ap1 with castrol Edge Titanium and boy have i been satisfied really doesnt burn alot, during oil changes i might put 1-2 quarts depending on driving style so yes
Castrol Edge Titanium FTW!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
^For me and many others it was simply the oil. Period. Maybe for some there were other issues but it runs thinner than most oils of the same weight and thus usually burns more on AP1's. I don't think it is coincidence with all the people that have changed it for another oil only to reduce or completely eliminate oil consumption.
I have used Mobil1-switched to another same weight oil same daily commute etc and then no consumption. Back to Mobil1 with oil burning back to another oil with none. Probably switched about 3 times within the first year of ownership to the same result every time.
Again, Moddadiction, anecdotal evidence is just that. Anecdotal. Did you ever measure any of these incidences of oil consumption? Did you keep a log of exactly how many miles you drove, time spent at redline, time spent at VTEC, time spent at WOT, etc. No? Then your evidence is anecdotal. There are just as many people, more I would say, that have no problems with Mobile 1, than people who do have problems.

Here's a few definitions of "anecdotal":

anecdotal evidence can be inaccurate, sometimes based on anecdotes, second-hand accounts of events or hearsay.[sup][[/sup]
[sup]
[/sup]

Anecdotal evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, can be used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalising from an insufficient amount of evidence

Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization). Anecdotal evidence is not necessarily representative of a "typical" experience; statistical evidence can more accurately determine how typical something is.

Accounts of direct personal experience are commonly equated to anecdotal evidence where the evidence is anecdote, hearsay or represents a conclusion deduced from generalisation.

In summary, I don't doubt that your experiences with Mobile 1 are what you perceive them to be. They happened, it's a fact. But...you didn't account for all variables nor control them, and you can't deduce the cause of someone elses problem from your anecdotal experience. ("It is the oil. Mobil1 has been shown to be a poor oil and not a full synthetic anymore ")

Can we get some proof of the above statement please?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fiducial.
After draining and re-filling, I dumped the oil back into the 5-gal jug, and not even 4 quarts came out! Probably closer to 3.5 quarts drained (without filter removal), and I had JUST added over 1.5 quarts in her 20 min. prior to that!
I've noticed that on my last two oil changes, one on my S2000 and one on my other honda. On both cars I took the old oil from the bucket and poured it back into the 5 quart container and it only filled it to about the 3.5 quart marker. Before I had changed the S2000 oil I had checked the reading and it was on the bottom X of dip stick. Not too worried about it as, so far it appears to be "normal". Interesting though.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k809
I have a 03 AP1 and i have used Amsoil, Mobile 1, Royal Purple and they all burned oil ALOT my last try was on the Castro Edge Titanum or i was going to get the motor checked cuz i though it was the motor.Thank god it wasnt ive had 3 oil changes on my Ap1 with castrol Edge Titanium and boy have i been satisfied really doesnt burn alot, during oil changes i might put 1-2 quarts depending on driving style so yes
Castrol Edge Titanium FTW!!!!
OK, here's one type I haven't tried yet. Can you tell me what weight you are using and I'll give it a try as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM

I've also used a variety of oils (ap1). Although I can't really say how much each burned off because I can't recall, they all burned. Just make it a regular maintenance item to top it off. I probably go 1000 miles before checking and its probably right at the bottom mark on the dip tube.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by Moddiction' timestamp='1315976867' post='20971293
Again, Moddadiction, anecdotal evidence is just that. Anecdotal. Did you ever measure any of these incidences of oil consumption? Did you keep a log of exactly how many miles you drove, time spent at redline, time spent at VTEC, time spent at WOT, etc. No? Then your evidence is anecdotal. There are just as many people, more I would say, that have no problems with Mobile 1, than people who do have problems.

Here's a few definitions of "anecdotal":

anecdotal evidence can be inaccurate, sometimes based on anecdotes, second-hand accounts of events or hearsay.[sup][[/sup]
[sup]
[/sup]

Anecdotal evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, can be used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalising from an insufficient amount of evidence

Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization). Anecdotal evidence is not necessarily representative of a "typical" experience; statistical evidence can more accurately determine how typical something is.

Accounts of direct personal experience are commonly equated to anecdotal evidence where the evidence is anecdote, hearsay or represents a conclusion deduced from generalisation.

In summary, I don't doubt that your experiences with Mobile 1 are what you perceive them to be. They happened, it's a fact. But...you didn't account for all variables nor control them, and you can't deduce the cause of someone elses problem from your anecdotal experience. ("It is the oil. Mobil1 has been shown to be a poor oil and not a full synthetic anymore ")

Can we get some proof of the above statement please?

You can call it whatever you want to call it but for me it is fact it burned more oil. For others I can't say except for the overwhelming evidence that many have had excessive oil consumption with mobil1.
Same driving every day to and from work. Same driving conditions. Same weather etc. I put almost 100 miles a day on the car 6 days a week and consumed MUCH more oil with Mobil 1 compared to other leading oil brands.
Wasn't worth my time to go any deeper into it as it simply burned more oil for me and that is all I cared about.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple answer- If you have an AP-1, Use something else. If you have an AP-1 and want to try Mobil-1, accept it as an expirement only while keeping a close eye on your oil level (which you should be doing anyway). If it were me and I owned an AP-1, I wouldn't even bother and I'd choose another brand.

Quick Reply: I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?