S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I have yet to burn more than 1/4 qt. of Mobil 1 and I go 8k miles between oil changes. My bike that red lines at over 16k does not burn as much as most of the AP1 cars on here, so I don't think its the rpm's we turn its something else. I have not heard that Honda started boring the cylinders with torque plates in place, if this is true that could be "one reason" why the AP2 uses less oil.

ROD
Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input everyone! For now I've decoded to keep a close eye on the consumption level. Next oil change I will switch to Amsoil and make a comparison. If the problem persists, I will swap valve covers. I really appreciate the help!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AP2 and Mobil-1=Yes
AP1 and Mobil-1=Maybe no based on other users comments. Change to something else and continue with frequent oil level checks. GL
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

the only Mobil1 issue is with AP1s.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Much as I respect Moddadiction, it's not the Mobile 1 you are using that is causing your excess oil consumption.

Some AP1's burn a lot of oil. My 03 always has. If I get on VTEC a lot, I'll go through a quart in 600 miles. On a track day I'll burn a quart. My compression and leakdown tests are fine. I've heard it's got something to do with the cylinder liners. Some AP1's don't burn much though.

Anyway, people like to trash on Mobile 1, as happens with all companies in all businesses that have the biggest market share. I've heard all kinds of anecdotal evidence about Mobile 1, but, that's the problem. It' all anecdotal.

Even when someone says I switched to this or that and now I don't have a problem, it means absolutely noting unless you can tell me the exact miles you drove, that you drained all your oil, and you can give me an exact run down of the type of driving you did, the amount of time in VTEC, the amount of time at redline, etc.

And nobody ever can, so, it means nothing.

I've tried every oil around, and I find no difference in oil consumption. Interestingly, I've tried some oils, thought the consumption dropped dramatically, then tried it again later, and had lots of consumption.

Other factors and variables, which I can't identify, are far more important in our AP1's oil consumption, than brand of oil.

Just check it at every fill up.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Pretty sure Mobil-1 is the factory fill for Corvettes and Farrari's. If so, it can't be too bad can it?. I've used it since my car was new and have no thoughts of changing.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I've used Mobil 1 on my 02 AP1 since day one and I don't burn any oil, even with a track day thrown into my 3k interval oil changes. As with any oil, you must check your motor oil regularly.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i change mine every 3k miles and use between 1.5 and 2 qts, depending on my driving. I use to use Mobile 1 full synthetic but switched back to Castrol GTX non synthetic. i have yet to add to it since the oil was just changed about 300 miles ago but is on the agenda for checking this weekend.. i did check it 100 miles ago and it needed none
Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 PM

My 2001 S started burning oil as soon as I used Mobil 1. After 3 weeks, I was a quart low (I only put 700 miles or so), so I changed to Royal Purple, and didn't burn any. As such, I'm still using RP on my 04 and never burning any, with quite a bit of time spend in high RPMS.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JackS
Pretty sure Mobil-1 is the factory fill for Corvettes and Farrari's. If so, it can't be too bad can it?. I've used it since my car was new and have no thoughts of changing.
Mobil 1 is factory fill for Corvettes, Mercedes, and Porsche. Ferrari uses Pennzoil.

I'd say davidc1 hit the nail on the head though, there are other factors that contribute to the high oil consumption. I've been using mobil 1 in my turbo A4 which are notorious for oil consumption, and high oil consumption I've seen occur with dealer supplied Castrol Syntec - by high oil consumption, VW/Audi/Porsche specified acceptable levels is 1 quart per every 1,000 miles. Mine however does not burn a drop. Also consider the guys at NASCAR also use Mobil-1 because "it works" and that is with the extended periods of high heat. I'd also like to throw in that most of Amsoil's offerings are not American Petroleum Institute (API) certified.

That said, if the oil consumption issue is that worrisome start poking around under the hood, I suspect your answer lies elsewhere aside from just oil manufacturer.

Quick Reply: I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?