S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?

I just wanted to share this with the community to see what everyone think of this:

The other day I was driving my '03 AP1 (bone stock, ~35k miles) and floored it in 1st gear, and it hesitated at ~7.5k. I tried again and got the same results. I checked the oil level and did not even get a reading on the dipstick. Nervously, I added a quart of oil, still no reading. I added what I had left, about another half quart or so, and STILL no reading on the dipstick. I grabbed my roommates keys and went out to buy a 5 gallon jug to change the oil. After draining and re-filling, I dumped the oil back into the 5-gal jug, and not even 4 quarts came out! Probably closer to 3.5 quarts drained (without filter removal), and I had JUST added over 1.5 quarts in her 20 min. prior to that!

WTF?! I rarely beat on the car. I will admit, it had been about 4500-5000 miles since an oil change, about 80% highway mileage. I use Mobil synthetic 10w-30. The car doesn't leak oil. I don't get it! I had noticed in the past that if I floored it and engaged Vtec, it would smoke just a little, but only if it was the first time i had floored it in while. Could I really have burned through ~3 quarts of oil in ~5k of highway miles?

I feel really dumb, so I don't need to hear that I'm an idiot for not checking the oil level regularly, etc. This is my first Honda, coming from an Evo where I was constantly modding it, constantly beating on/tracking it, and thus constantly changing the oil. Iv'e never experienced this before. Can anyone chime in with some useful thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That is definitely excessive oil consumption. First thing I would do is switch out the Mobil 1 for some other superior oil. That stuff is really not good oil and also burns the most it seems with this car. Check out some "krankvents" as well.
I'd do a compression and leakdown if you haven't already just to see how things are doing in there.
I started burning a lot of oil recently. 2 quarts in the last thousand miles. My engine definitely has something wrong in it though as I smoke a lot especially when wot in boost but now even driving and idling around it smokes a lot.
You sure you didn't go more miles than you thought you did? Or was it definitely filled up the correct amount last oil change?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

hopefully you didn't damage the engine, when oil levels get that low on this car you risk dropping a cylinder. Best advice you can take is checking the oil levels every time you fill up on gas.

Worrisome consumption levels don't start until you exceed 1 quart per 1000 miles, so you are lower than that right now. Many ap1's will use some oil, very unlike your EVO, so get in the habit of checking oil levels regularly.

My 02 hasn't used any oil yet this season, I changed to an 04-05 ap2 valvecover and Amsoil 5w30 oil this season, my consumption has decreased a decent bit since last season. If you can get your hands on an 04-05 valvecover I'd recommend it, the improved pcv valve system reduces oil ingestion during hard cornering, braking and acceleration. It might help you out. Outside of that you may just have a higher consumption motor, but you might be able to decrease it a bit.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the advice! I think I will switch oils next time and see where that gets me. I ripped it a few times after I changed the oil and the car still feels strong. I am going to compression test it this week. I have dropped a cylinder before in an SR20DET, and I am not experiencing the dreadful symptoms so hopefully I avoided doing any damage. I never thought about the cornering affecting the oil consumption, and I do challenge the suspension quite a bit, even on the street.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiducial.
Thanks for the advice! I think I will switch oils next time and see where that gets me. I ripped it a few times after I changed the oil and the car still feels strong. I am going to compression test it this week. I have dropped a cylinder before in an SR20DET, and I am not experiencing the dreadful symptoms so hopefully I avoided doing any damage. I never thought about the cornering affecting the oil consumption, and I do challenge the suspension quite a bit, even on the street.
I wouldn't worry about the compression test unless it is something you've wanted to do regardless, if the engine was damaged it would have shown up by now, so it is likely safe to say you caught it before damage occurred. The issue with high g forces is that oil pools around the pcv valve on ap1 valvecovers, and the intake system sucks up the oil in greater quanities. Changing to an 04-05 valvecover eliminates that problem due to the revised pcv baffle and system they introduced in those years. The 04-05 valvecover swaps to 2000-2003 engines without modification, you just need to use the metal pcv valves used by ap2's.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 PM

04-05 valve cover and Amsoil 10w30. Problem solved!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has to be an Ap1 thing. My car has had mobil 1 since the day it was new and I never burn any oil at all between my 5k mile oil changes. I am turbo and 60k miles now and still zero oil consumption. I don't think its the oil. Ap1 design flaw. Ap2 ftw
Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It is the oil. Mobil1 has been shown to be a poor oil and not a full synthetic anymore. Breaks down quicker than other oils. AP1's do burn more oil than AP2's normally.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Amsoil ftw

That said, Mobil 1 full syn. was on an awesome sale, so I did a change with it about 500 miles ago...now you make me want to go check it though

Now are we talking about Mobil reg. or full syn.? or both?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM

i love how its always mobil 1's fault

Quick Reply: I know these cars burn oil, but THAT MUCH?!?