S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I know I know.....

Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james0933
Originally Posted by CoolGuy094' timestamp='1383442109' post='22859030
If you want to do it cheap then just buy an OEM friction disc. Its like $120 from Majestic. Swap in that new disc, keeping the pressure plate and flywheel you already have. Clean everything up, grab a thing of Honda hi temp urea grease and grease up the throwout bearing, put it back together and go.
Ditto.

Oem disk, bearings and urea grease with a flywheel resurface will be under your budget. Done.

Measure that pp though, but it should be good.
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking the splines on the PP is what went out. I wont know unless I drop it, but I don't want to tow it to the MVR to drop the tranny and put it back up to tow it back and wait for the whatever it is I screwed up just to re-do it over. In a catch 22 lol, I know something in there messed up...just not sure what until I get it down which is why I was just looking for a cheap knock off kit to get it moving again. I know OEM is the best, but I wanted to see if there were any viable cheap alts that would function for a bit until I could get the real thing back in there.

But thanks, hopefully some others that aren't dead set on OEM and have tried any on that list might give a bit of insight since I'm ordering something on Thursday, I'm just not sure what yet lol.

On a side note: Just ran into a new found friend with a 05 straight exhaust back.....loud as hell!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine just put a XTD clutch in his 240. The pressure plate was stamped with "Exedy" so I guess they just use some cheapy disk in their kit with an Exedy OEM replacement pressure plate. Will it work? Yes. Would I put it in my car? No, because I know how much of a pain it is to drop the transmission in this car to replace it when it starts slipping in 5000 miles. Is the clutch slipping? You say you think the splines went bad on the pressure plate, how did you come to that conclusion? If you have $280 to put towards the clutch, just save the extra $100 and get a stage 2 Comp Clutch kit and have your flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop for $40.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM FTW
Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadycat
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking the splines on the PP is what went out. I wont know unless I drop it, but I don't want to tow it to the MVR to drop the tranny and put it back up to tow it back and wait for the whatever it is I screwed up just to re-do it over. In a catch 22 lol, I know something in there messed up...just not sure what until I get it down which is why I was just looking for a cheap knock off kit to get it moving again. I know OEM is the best, but I wanted to see if there were any viable cheap alts that would function for a bit until I could get the real thing back in there.

But thanks, hopefully some others that aren't dead set on OEM and have tried any on that list might give a bit of insight since I'm ordering something on Thursday, I'm just not sure what yet lol.

On a side note: Just ran into a new found friend with a 05 straight exhaust back.....loud as hell!
So you think that the splines on the PP stripped out? I kinda doubt it, but what makes you think this? Can you describe the symptoms that you experienced before you put it on jack stands? I feel like the clutch would just start slipping before enough force was translated to strip the spline teeth off of the pressure plate.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2klariat
A buddy of mine just put a XTD clutch in his 240. The pressure plate was stamped with "Exedy" so I guess they just use some cheapy disk in their kit with an Exedy OEM replacement pressure plate. Will it work? Yes. Would I put it in my car? No, because I know how much of a pain it is to drop the transmission in this car to replace it when it starts slipping in 5000 miles. Is the clutch slipping? You say you think the splines went bad on the pressure plate, how did you come to that conclusion? If you have $280 to put towards the clutch, just save the extra $100 and get a stage 2 Comp Clutch kit and have your flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop for $40.
It's probably a modified Exedy pp, jjust like act modifies the Honda pp. The clamping force can be increased with the correct know how.

There was a drivetrain specialty shop that used to do it around here.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM

Prior to getting her in the air....

Driving down to Austin one day, it started getting really hard to shift into gear. At a stop light while left in first and the clutch in....it kept wanting to go and died. Took a miracle to get it started.

Swapped the fluid since I was told that could help, it didn't really do anything.

Later, pretty much when whatever broke. There was never any clutch slipping, and it wouldn't go into gear without floating it in on the crippling ride home. Once I got it here, the car wouldn't shift into first or second at all...and grinded third +.

Swapped the SMC/CMC and bled the ever living hell out of the system, still no luck. Even tried adjusting the pedal, and nothing again.

Tried the SMC nipple clean/grease it and the fork and nothing again.

I know something went sour internally, and yet I lived in Vtec a ton.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jdblood202
Obviously me and everyone else is just gonna say do the oem thing, its definetly the safest route to take over knock off clutches, however if you are dead set on not doing oem, I did have good luck with the XTD clutch on my 240sx. It held up fine, through track days and dding, had about 4k on that clutch when I sold the car and it still was functioning fine. Haven't heard of those other brands though. Good luck!
I can honesly say ive had a few of the XTD in diff vehicles and its never let me down ... maybe im lucky but I would actually really consider xtd they are a resonable price
Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Welp, since I'm drunk I don't want to purchase one right this second. I know I'm torn between the XTD and F1. Yes I have read terrible reviews on both. Yes I know I shouldn't expect more than 10000 miles on either. Yes I have seen super positive reviews on them both. I'm leaning more toward the F1, but would like a bit more input from my S2000 guys before I go balls deep on it.

This clutch only has to last until Feb. I don't care if I have to re-do the process of jacking it up on a lift and swapping out the hellish clutch. I would just like to know the best bang for my buck kit wise minus a flywheel.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 444 Likes on 367 Posts

When these Ebay clutches fail it's typically not the pressure plate that fails, it's the craptastic bearings also the exposed hub springs on the friction disk will cause it to chatter. You could weld them so they have less play but a OEM friction disk is $130 shipped, it's not going to break the bank by any means.